Fender M-80 Bass Amp, has anyone ever heard of it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I bought my M-80 a while back at GC, i don't really know anything about it. The first day i heard of one was the day i bought it. It is called a, "Fender M-80 Bass." I don't know a lot about the age of it. It looks like it is either a late 80s or early-mid 90s amp. It has two inputs, and effects loop, 3 band eq (obviously not graphic eq), chorus, compressor, a foot switch input, one PA output, two speaker inputs, one 15" speaker, and i'm guessing the 160 watt rating is at 4 ohlms because there is an empty speaker input, so i'm pretty sure the speaker is an 8 ohlm, too. It is a closed combo, so i would have to unscrew the screws to see the back of the speaker. Sorry, i don't have any pics. Just wondered if anyone has heard of it. I think it is funny that if i scratched off the 8 and the hyphen it would say "M O BASS" like the SWR head, but it is obviously not an SWR, and it is a combo.
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i now know for sure it is a 8 ohlm speaker into the 4 ohlm head, but it still gets extremely loud. I once knocked my boom box off my bookshelf.
  3. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I owned one of these for a few years. It was a good sounding small gig amp. The chorus built in was neat, but a little noisy. I traded it for a bigger amp because I wanted more power and more tone control. You are right, you get 160w with the addition of another 8ohm cabinet. I briefly ran my M-80 into another 1x15 cabinet and had a huge stack as a result. Sold the amp to a keyboard player because the thing sounded quite good with a keyboard hooked up. In conclusion: decent amp, good value, I hope you enjoy it!
  4. Yes. Lovely amp. One of Fender's better '80s efforts. Of a quality only the recent Bassman series has recaptured. Certainly MUCH better than the BXRs.
  5. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I love these amps, my friend has one, he let me borrow it a few times. for 160 watts, the thing is LOUDDDDDDDD. Sounded very good too, im thinkin about seeing if i can buy it from him.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A friend owned one and I used it on a few gigs. OK sound, much better if you turn off the "DeltaComp" limiter.

Came in head and combo versions, earliest ones were in grey carpet, later they came with black carpet.
  7. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Damm right it is loud for 160w. I played through my brothers 400rb through an 8 ohlm 15" celestion, and then my M-80, and i'll take my m-80 anyday. My amp was louder, clearer, better tone, fully sound, and mine has chorus. I don't know if i'll ever need an extention cab on the sucker. Mine is a black carpet one. So would that be mid-late 80s? Does anyone know what the stock speaker is?

I've never turned it past 5 (i did that once when no one was home, but the movement of many objects resulted from it, there was no clipping at five though). I'm always joking around "Hey, maybe i can get an other one of those Fender M-80 bass amps, and get a couple extention cabs!! then i can start breaking windows!!!"
  8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    =) i had never seen one before his. maybe he would consider a trade (with a $$) for my amp =) lol. btu onc i get a job, ill offer him a few hundred for i. know of any places online who have one?
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    musician's friend sells a cover for it. :)
    You probably don't want to get a large combo amp off of internet ($hipping$$$.) I got mine for $285 + $20 tax. at GC, but i would sell my amp for $300.
  10. Felonious Punk

Felonious Punk

Aug 27, 2001

Thought I'd chime in on this since I own one of these and have been looking for other feedback from owners. I have M-80 head, with the 2x 15 speaker cab..both with the grey carpet.

I've never really gotten the sound I wanted out of this...it lacks the punch I desire. I probably should play it through some 10's before I unload it...but I am consider selling it if anyones interested.

11. joker

Nov 19, 2003
    I have one of the early M80 amps. It has the grey carpet and looks like it's been around the block a time or two. The volume knob is a bit scratchy on it. The 15" in the combo is 8ohm at 80-100 watts. It bumps up to 160w when you connect a 4ohm cab or speaker to it. The chorus is nice; I've used it live a time or two.

Even though it has a decent sound, my dream rig is a GK head w/ 4x10 and 1x15 Hartke cabs. I would be willing to get rid of it for something like that.

Question: does anyone know which input is for active basses? I can't really tell a difference, but I've heard that there is an active input on these amps.

Musician's Friend also has a Fender footswitch that will work on this amp ($35 :)). It's the effects/chorus switch. But I have used a friend's Peavey 2-button footswitch to activate the chorus without a problem.
  12. Yeah, I've heard of them, I own one:D It was my first (and still is) decent amp. I love the sound, although I would love to place another cab under it (Ampeg 4 * 12" or something like that).
    Thanks to you guys i new know it's late '80s.
    In my opinion, this serie is one of the best fender has ever made. I play with i Stingray so I think my sound is quite nice. I'm planning on screwing the amp out of the combo and buying (or maybe building) a 4 * 12" cab. Any opinions about this? Good idea or not?
  13. and input number 2 is the active one (I'm not 100% sure though)
  14. MANthony

Jul 11, 2009
    I have this combo amp and love it but the cone on the speaker ripped. Does anyone know what would a good replacement speaker would be?
  15. NitroChrome

Apr 10, 2012
    Does this mean if I am only using the cone in the combo I am only getting 80- watts out of the amp?:bassist:
  16. sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    My guitarist buddy bought one of those back when they first came out and it was a piece of junk!
    1-12" solid state Worst tone i ever heard .
    It is still kicking round the studio somewhere here though.
    Looks great Sounds horrible.
  17. capcom

Mar 23, 2005
    I also had this combo amp I guess between years 1998-2001. I used to love it's tone so much back then.

I remember it had a very good compressed sound in bass frequencies, but it's mids and highs were very harsh and unpleasing for my taste. Anyway I loved it's chorus more, in my opinion it had a very smooth chorus effect.

I must confess I would rather keep this amp. I sometimes miss it's sound...

If anyone wonders how these amps sounded, here is a sound clip recorded with this amp in studio in 2001:

Recorded in 2001, in Studio. Trying to jam in Reggea style in predetermined chord progression.

1974 (Alder, Rosewood) Fender Jazz Bass, D'Addario XL Strings, DiMarzio Passive Jazz Pickups, All Knobs Full.

Fender M-80 Solid State Combo Amplifier. 1x15 Port Cabinet, Volume at full, DeltaComp kicks in frequently during playing. Recorded with Microphone, Not with DI or Line Out

Studio has zero echo.
  18. I had one in the mid 90's - bought from a Cash Converters for $100. I loved it. Sounded good and was quite loud. I ended up needing more speakers but would like it back as a practice amp.
  19. I've got one in black, and I think its a fine combo for smaller rooms. I also picked up a Fender 15" cab to sit under it, and they can move a LOT of air. :D I used that rig for an outdoor party and kept up with my gui****s, according to the folks down the block. :bag:

I can find no downsides to it, given what it is and the fact that it isn't all *that* powerful. It has a vintage feel/sound and will handle all the effects I care to put through it. I even use it as a standby keyboard amp, and it handles that duty well. We just recorded an EP; I used this amp, and it worked great.

Play the snot out of it, enjoy it, and yes, leave the comp OFF. I believe the owner's manual is still available to download on the Fender website.
  20. sturoc

Dec 12, 2009
    My Acoustic head is in the shop for a clean up so meanwhile I am using one of our spare guitar amps which happens to be an M-80. The 12" driver is kinda shot so i just disonnected it ( easy to do since it is an open back combo amp) and plugged in a Fender 4x12 cab to the external spkr out jack and WOW this thing has alot of power and makes the 4 12 cab sound really great. As a psuedo Bass amp stand in, i was impressed with this 'Lil " combo amp !!!