Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender makes a 6!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rygelxvi, Sep 2, 2003.

1. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
  2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That's a Custom-Shop bass made for the guy from Alien Ant Farm. A similar bass would cost around $8,000 - AFAIK the Fender Custom Shop would have built anyone a 6, for an exorbitant price.

3. I don't think that's the same bass. When I saw AAF, the bass appered to be a Cocobolo top, with matching wood covers for the pickups.

read this thread and check out the pics.

Tye Zamora's new Fender

4. now that I looked a both of them, maybe they made him more then one. It looks like the same shape, just different woods, when I saw them it was definitly not that zebrawood bass. But he probably had them make a few.

I just hope that someday regular slobs like me would be able to buy one (for a reasonable price that is).

5. Nice looking.

I dont like AAF.

6. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here know the name of the big bald goofy dude with the goatee in the green shirt in those pictures? Or could anyone find out, if you're in the know with the Fender guys.

Back in '92-'93, I used to play in a band called Phantom Charlie with a guy named Alex Nicholas who went to work for the Fender Custom Shop in CA. He looked different back then, or course (he didn't use a Bic on his head, LOL).
    That dude could play some MEAN guitar, and he put the frets on my first bass (it was a POS fretless Yamaha P clone). He could do some serious tequila drinkin', too.

7. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ha. That's funny. Too bad my name isn't Fender so I can charge four times what my work is worth.

8. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Fender does indeed make a 6! 6 is the number of threads about this damn custom shop cataclysm(s?).

9. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Jeez! The polepieces on those 6 stringers are WAY off center on the outer strings. You'd think they'd make "custom" pickup sizes so the strings would at least be over the polepieces.

10. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yes they are, but I would prefer the wider string spacing to match the pickups.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think you guys may be misreading Fender's intentions. If you notice, the distances between each supposed pair of polepieces looks almost exactly, if not exactly, the same as the distance within each pair. I don't think they're even trying to assign a string to each pair of polepieces. I think they're trying to create a continuous, almost bladelike, pickup field that can accommodate a range of spacings. Sorta like what Bill Lawrence does with the J-45, which can be used on a 4 or a 5 (and which Chucko even uses on an LB76):

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickup_Window/j45.htm

12. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i visited the Fender booth last namm.

i didn't like the custom shop basses at all.

just me.

f

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I considered that (and you could be right), but since those are the same pickups used in the Rosco Beck model (albiet 5 string models) where the strings do match up with the pole pieces, who knows.:confused:

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Are you sure about that? I don't think they are the same.

Roscoe Beck:

[​IMG]

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    New 6er:

[​IMG]

edit: which look like Aeros to me.

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Although that's not the same 6 I saw earlier in the thread (is this a Fender?), you're right, the pickups are different.

Doesn't matter. I still want the wider spacing. :spit: :D

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    This is the first Fender pic linked to by this thread, in the first post. Anyway, all of the pictures in hippiesandwich's post have these same Aero-esque pickups anyway.

The spacing looks like how I like it on these. The thing is, they look like they still have a fairly chunky Fender-esque body design, which is not my cup of tea. To me, they generally look like something from about 10 years ago. Clunky desgins with fairly uninspired use of exotic woods. Like someone in the other thread mentioned, they don't even register on my GAS-o-meter. But that's just my personal tastes.

18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Didn't look at the Fender in the first post. This is the one I looked at from hippiesandwich's post:

http://a4.cpimg.com/image/22/A6/159...-02000180-R.jpg

19. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    That link didn't work for me. I'd love to see it though.