Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender making MIMs in Natural??????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 15, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I just came from Guitar Center and saw a MIM Jazz Bass in Natural finish. The back of the headstock read Special Edition. Does anyone know anything about these? Are they also making the MIM P-bass in Natural?

~Patrick

2. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Go to Fender .com and look at signature basses for a natural finish. They say Special Edition on the neck plate and probably other places. Most of them are MIM or MIJ.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Are you talking about the Artists Series? This was an actual Standard MIM Jazz Bass. It just read "Special Edition" on the headstock. I can't find squat about it on the Fender site, but then again, they also haven't updated it for NAMM.

~Patrick

4. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    SWEET!!! they beter be but if they cost a lot I will be majorly PEED!!!

5. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The price on this particular Jazz Bass was $489, but I know I could get it good frequent flyer discount on it :cool:

6. that would be awesome if fender made a mim with natural finish, than i'd put a bridge cover on it and it would be my mim 75 jazz bass!
    sweet. :)

Charlie

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Anyone know anything about these Special Edition MIMs? Its driving me crazy. I may snag it if I get approved for the Guitar Center card.

~Patrick

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    O'kay tell me this, was the body 1 piece are several pieces?
    Was the natural a laminate?
    Was it a veneer?
    What was the neck made of, Maple or rosewood?

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    IIRC, before they make the '75 JB reissue in America, Fender had launched the model as MIM. Wouldn't it be that model ?

Also, maybe I'm wrong on that, so please correct.

Cheers,
    JL

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The body was one piece, ash body. Not sure what constitutes veneer, and I think it was a laminated top. It had a maple neck and rosewood fretboard, like all MIMs.

It is a Standard Mexican Jazz. Same electronics, hardware, etc. This one just has an ash body and natural finish. I went back to scope it out, today, and as far as I understand, Guitar Center is getting a special run of these, both P-s and Jazzes. Damn. I wish I had known about this before I bought my Sunburst P-bass. What can another hurt?

~Patrick

11. Hey Patrick, you have the P, get the Natural Jazz!

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I may actually end up getting it on Tuesday. I'm applying for a store card and if I can find a cosigner (I'm 18, no credit), then I'm putting that sucker on there. 15 months same as cash seems good to me. Plus, being in with the assistant manager is helpful ;)

~Patrick

13. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I wished they would start making MIM basses with maple boards. :(

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Ok I have seen this bass that XCental34X speaks of. I went to GC today and guess what? Yep a natural MIM p-bass, I looked a little harder and found the MIM natural jazz. I looked over both basses and this is what I found, The bass is made up of two to three pieces of heavily grained ash. If you looked hard you will notice where they matched the pieces together, the p-bass was very noticable. all in all not a bad looking bass at all.

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I still can't find any info on it. Whether its now a standard finish, or a special edition, or what. Of course we're talking about Guitar Center. But damn. I gotta get me a Natural P-bass.

~Patrick

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I did see a little sticker with the letters "FSR" which stand for factory special run. that would make it a special edition.

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I saw one of these special run Mexican Jazz basses with a maple fretboard yesterday. I almost bought it. I still might if someone doesn't beat me to it. The natural finish with a maple fretboard really looks nice. This one played great, too. :D

18. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    There is a sticker on the back of the headstock that says "Special Edition" or somthing like that.

Here's my mini review:

The body was made up of not one, two or three pieces of ash, but... FOUR. The shades and grain of each piece of wood were close, so from a distance this would be virtualy unnoticable. Choose carefuly, I imagine some body woods are better matched than others.
    The body was beautifully finished however - shined like a polished mirror!!
    The neck was of the standard jazz dimensions and had a very nice rosewood fingerboard. The frets were finished quite nicely; smooth edges and no high ones to cause buzzing. the headstock was more like a vintage model with the "Made in Mexico" stenciled on the back leaving only the "Fender" logo on the front - Nice touch!!
    The control knobs were the standard vintage ones, as was the bridge (very cheap). The pickups were the upgraded version (neck narrower than the bridge) to look more like the vintage stuff. I did notice that there were raised poles under the "A" an "D" strings for better output matching accross all 4 strings.
    This bass played, felt and sounded OUTSTANDING; nice full and funky when thumbed and classic when played finger style!
    Close your eyes and you could't tell this MIM from a MIA in my opinion; I'd gig it tonight just the way it was!!.
    Of course you can't expect Fender to pull out all the stops on this $489 bass, however if I were looking to pick one up, I would eventually upgrade the bridge and maybe the pickups; Then again you might be able to do better by picking up a nice American or Japanese for the same price (MIM - including the upgrades).
    Oh, I almost forgot, they're makeing a P-bass, Strat and Tele natural now too - saw them with my own eyes today!!!

Peace,

KT

19. Virus

Virus

Apr 16, 2004
    Ontario
    I see this is all at GC... I have no idea where that is or if there is more than one.

I'm in Ontario and have been in love with natural finishes and vintage sounds for a long time now and would love to pick up both a J and P version of these. Anyone know if they're around here? I don't get out much.

I don't have a lot of time to check posts either, so if you could please PM me or email me with any info I would really appreciate it.

virus.exe@rogers.com