Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Marcus Miller Bass Preamp - any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Those of you who own or have played a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass - what do you think of the preamp? What about the pickups?

I'm trying to compare it to a 60's reissue with a J-Retro preamp.

Thanks!

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Their are a few guys here who have switched them out with Sadowsky pre amps and couldent be happier from what i read.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I found it noisy, especially in the treble. Not bad sounding overall, however.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The pre-amp is what it is, The bass is thick full on and the treble can be harsh. I think people swap in the Sadowsky Because Roger put one in Marcus's bass. I even thought about the Sadowsky pre but opted for the outboard Aguilar DB924 to use witrh my Marcus Miller leaving my MM bass stock. The pups are just fine and truth be told I play my MM bass stock most of the time.

5. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I like my MM, although I am a newbie to the bass world. This means what sounds fine to me may not to others. I play it through a GK 700Rb-2 and GK 115SBX with no complaints. I've read that certain basses sound better through certain amps etc... I like the sound of mine, it just seems to do what I want it to do. I only boost the treble and bass a tad higher than the natural passive sound. This way I can access 2-4 different tones at the flip of a switch and a twist of the PUP knobs.... :D

6. For me, pickups are perfect, it's vintage pickups from Fender.
    I didn't appreciated the stock preamp that much, so I change it for a sadowsky one, with vintage tone control.
    And now, it's perfect, more amazing and so on.....
    I recommend that preamp (And I don't get any money from NYC to say that!! I'm just a satisfied customer!).

Vince

7. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    a friend of mine has one and he isnt impressed with it. He always uses it in passive mode. He didnt tell me why he doesnt like it.

8. I like it alot but the real test willl come at the next jam session and I can hear it through the guitars.

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I like the sound of it, but it sometimes feels kinda weak... not sure how to characterize it better than that. I've only had the chance to play a J-Retro'd bass once (a Lakland Daryl Jones), and I loved that preamp. It's totally different than a MM/Sadowsky, but if you like the J-Retro, you won't be satisfied with the standard MM preamp.

10. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    Here is my take: it is a cheap preamp. Not saying its bad, but it is cheap. Which means the treble boost is noisy, but the bass boost is nice. I am probably going to replace mine (with either a J-Retro or get it Sadowsky-ized) at some point, but it is passable for now. The passive sound is really nice as well (wish it had a tone control, but I should be fixing that soon).

Pickups are great, a little noisy (mine hasn't been shielded, I am going to do that soon), but really good.

If you are buying this bass for the preamp (or considering picking up a used preamp) then don't. But it IS a great bass otherwise.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I personaly thought the preamp was the weak point of the bass and for me didn't offer too much. I would opt for an Aguilar or Sadowsky in a second.

12. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    +1 :D , IMO, if you dig the MM 5 string model as well! get one! I think the 5 string model is even better! (not the pre, I'm talking the overall quality of the bass)