Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nubi_bassist, Jun 28, 2001.

1. nubi_bassist

Jun 25, 2001
    i am thinking about buying a marcus miller jazz bass or a geddy lee jazz bass
    the difference is that the geddy lee jazz bass is 100 dollars cheaper but has passive eq
    and the other has active eq
    both are jazz basses
    which one should i get?

thanks a lot
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I personally like the Miller better. The electronics are more versatile; it's also better made, coming from the Japanese plant. The neck binding and inlays are super-cool looking.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Actually, they are both made in Japan. The Geddy is based on a '72 Jazz bass with an insanely thin neck. It is the only Fender Bass in production that has this neck profile. The Marcus is based on his late 70s jazz bass. Both have BadassII bridges, and both have the same pickups. Both have maple fretboards with blocks, and bindings.

So, the main question is: Do you want a thin neck w/no active electronics, or do you want a thicker neck w/active electronics?
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think the main issue is...do you like the Marcus tone, and do you slap? Your profile does not indicate the kind of music that you play.

If you play metal rock band, you probably don't need a Marcus jazz bass.

I've played two Marcus Jazz basses and I think they sound great. I A/B the Marcus bass with a passive Jazz running through a Sadowsky preamp and was surpised. The tone quality was pretty close.

And at about $770 at Musicians' Friend, it's a good deal.
  5. I thought the active electronics on the Fender Marcus Miller sounded wimpy, poorly defined, and noisy. Not at all like a Sadowsky bass with the Sadowsky preamp. I'd buy which ever bass feels better in your hands and then add/replace the preamp if you need it.