Fender Marcus Miller Sig. 4 PreAmp suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chinjazz, Aug 4, 2003.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    we're all hoping to get discounts for the free advertising

:D

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    haha *LOL*

3. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    That is so true!!!

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    It's amazing what you can see when you pay attention;)

People hate the whole the tone is in your hands mindset but I've seen too many players get the same results on multiple instruments and rigs to even begin to think that the player isn't the most important part of the equation.

I played Gary Willis' Ibanez and sounded like me. He sounded like Gary. What preamp or pickups should I get?

I mean this in a nice way:D

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    lol,

that's cause it actually sounds that good. :)

not only does it sound gorgeous: the highs are soaring but not shrill ala the Aguilar, the mids are smooth and not too harsh, and the bass is bold and beautiful, its also one of the more well thought out and versatile onboards i've used.

not many other units have an "infinitely" variable midrange selector knob that, yes in fact, does seem to be great in any situation. ;) couple that with a brite boost, passive knob (on the deluxe model), etc., and you've got quite a potent combo.

btw, i dunno whether the question is to suddenly play like Marcus, but to merely get that great tone that he gets. whether or not that means using exactly what he's using is kinda moot, cause there's a plethora of gear that SoundsOcean wants to know about and we already are familiar.

btw to the btw, you could always spring for a clean boost pedal like a boutique Fulltone Fat Boost, a ulitarian cheapie Boss EQ pedal, or a cheapie MXR Comp(ressor) pedal. if you want something more versatile, albeit expensive, you can always get a J-Retro, Sadowsky, or Sansamp Bass DI stomp box. set it to the level you want, and when its time to shine, slam it on.

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I not only suggest it all the time, but I own two!

7. jokerjkny,

I think you are right on the money. It appears that this thread has grown in interessting directions.

Just looking for ways to bring more punch to the MM bass. Lots of good suggestions were made, and I'm now off to experiment.

I'll never sound like Marcus, even in my dreams. At best he'll influence me just like a lot of other great players. And you may hear a few glimpses of their playing in mine from time to time.

Thanks Everyone, for your good input!!

Adam

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    BTW my advice is based on owning a couple of J-Retro equipped basses for an extended period of time. Excellent preamps though hardly mandatory;)