Fender Marcus Miller. Since I cant search right now.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nipper, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Nipper

Nipper just listen, hear that thump?

Aug 16, 2006
    Florida
    Just came back from playing one of these at lunch. It seems to be a really well crafted bass. Could I get a few opinions before I let my GAS take over?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    They are cool basses, but I can't stand that huge pickguard. For the price, I'd rather have a geddy lee and add a preamp.

3. Nipper

Nipper just listen, hear that thump?

Aug 16, 2006
    Florida
    Yea, I just dont like the painted on markers on the Geddy Lee, I would rather have the inlays. The pickguard does not bother me any. Maybe that is because my other bass is an Aerodyne and now I am jonesing for a pickguard? Could be...

4. For the price, I'd rather get a CIJ Fender Jazz 62' Re-issue

or even just a regular CIJ Fender Jazz... with natural body, maple neck, and pearl inlays...

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    MM's tend to be pretty cool basses. They tend to be well-built. The only real knocks people come up with on 'em are the pickups and preamp... depending on how you EQ it, they can get kinda noisy, and the pickups aren't the strongest out there. A lot of folks end up swapping them out with generally very good results.

If you like what you hear in them, you'll probably enjoy owning it. It's a very customizable bass if you're into that too (like I am), so if you'd be up for improvements down the road, it's pretty easy to make that happen too.

6. Hola,
    They're great Basses, but the one suggestion I'd give you is CHANGE THE PRE-AMP! I put a Aguilar OBP-1 in mine and NOW it smoke's. Some people dig the Fender pre, but for the tone I was looking for, the Aggie was the pre! I love it!
    Bobbo 77'

7. oh men I want a marcus miller bass so bad!!!

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I enjoy it. I left the preamp stock and put in some Seymour Duncan pickups, just 'cause I could. Sounded good before, sounds even better now!

Construction, fit, and finish are all top notch. Slap sound is obviously killer. If you can get past the pickguard aesthetics, you've got yourself a top notch instrument. :cool:

9. yeah , and the John East pre amp also seems to be one of the favorites for this bass.

10. Oh yes, I forgot about that J-retro pre. Very impressive.

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Not very cheap, though. :meh: OBP-1: $99. Audere: $150. J-Retro for the Marcus Miller: ~$375.

12. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I bought mine used even though I wasn't specifically looking for one because I loved the way it played and it sounded very good. It is nice and light and built very well. At the time it had Barts and the stock preamp. I upgraded with Nordstrand NJ4SV pickups and an Aguilar OBP-3 preamp. I love the bass, but I still jones for a 'normal' looking jazz from time to time.

13. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    Mine Rocks! I have kept it stock and love it! I wouldn't change a thing. The sound is exactly what I have been searching for for years!

I got mine used off E-Bay. What a buy.

I'm willing to sell my Thumb six for the MM 5 that's how much I love these things!

All the Best!

G

14. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I have a MM4 and think they are the most bang for the buck Fender mades. Ash body, BAII, pre-amp, active/passive switch and the real inlay and binding. The neck is fantasic. Only thing I don't like is the tuners and will replace those one day. The CIJ workmanship is excellent. I picked mine up new for about $775 so deals can be found.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    [​IMG]

Can't imagine a day without it. I like passive basses better, but this pre lets me dial in a little bit of the frequencies I need without making the tone suck :)

I love it.

16. tplyons,
    THAT Marcus' you have is da Bomb! I love the color, but that P-neck must feel really nice!
    I've been playin my 77" Stingray for year's, and that neck profile feels like home. the jazz neck took a little gettin used to, but I believe that P-neck would be closer to my Stingray neck, which would give me the best of both, the Marcus tone and Musicman feel!
    Bobbo 77"

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Thanks, I love this beast. It's actually a CIJ 1975 Reissue neck. Yes, '75. Fender made them for about a year and a half and are rare as anything, but they fit my hand like a glove.

And yes, I'm a Stingray lover too. Shall have another one of those soon. I'm thinking vintage white with a black guard and maple fretboard. 2 Band EQ. :)

18. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    +1. I put Dimarzios in. And you can always take the pickguard off ;)

19. It's definately a looker..
    I had 2 so far.. Every gig I brought it out for always had compliments about it's looks.. not the playing.. haha.

I generally feel that the preamp and pickups are quite thin.. if you could change them, it's gonna be a killer bass. Oh and I'll recommend Audere too!

Amazingly, some girl who was a my gig 5 years back remembered the cool bass with the shiny thing in front (Pickup Cover) and she was telling me how all the other basses never looked as nice.. Then I told her it was me.

20. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    How does the Miller compare to the Hamilton?? :bassist:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021