1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Marcus Miller V - Volume pots question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gamerock, Nov 11, 2020.

1. gamerock

gamerock

Jun 10, 2020
    Hey, guys!

I am a lucky owner of a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass V. Everything seems to be good, but I am irritated by one fact of that bass, which I want to ask you about. I tried to find related information in the internet, but with no luck, apart from some general information on this topic.

This bass has a volume pot per pickup. I think the balance between two pick ups is a weird thing. I would say that a pots position of 100%/85%(and below) sounds exactly the same as 100%/0%. And same goes for other pick up. I can only hear a slight difference in tone, when one pick up is at 90% or higher, while other is at 100%.
    So, basically I have something like these configurations, which produces sound of different characteristics:
    - 100%/100%
    - 100%/0%
    - 100%/90%

And vice versa for the second pickup at 100%.

All electronics on this bass is a stock one. I've recently changed pickups to Aguilar 5j-Hc, but it doesn't anyhow impacted on the balance issue.
    So, a question: is it a normal thing for the Fender Marcus Miller V? Is it a normal thing overall for Basses with 2 volume pots?

P.S. I do know about linear and exponential pots. However, really want to know, whether this specific bass functions as it should and it's not an issue, but a design.

2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    It is a standard behaviour, you shouldn't set one pickup to 100% if you are using the other at the same time. Set the 'main' pickup to about 90% and it will be fine.
    I replaced my preamp with Sadowsky because I didn't like the stock one.

3. gamerock

gamerock

Jun 10, 2020
    Hi, Torrente Cro! Thanks for your answer. That helped a bit, however, wouldn't say that I've discovered full box of new possible sounds. It looks similar to what I observed before, but now with just 90% of volume for one pickup instead of the 100%. Maybe I am expecting too much and overall this is a normal behavior?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021