Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Marcus Miller vs Deluxe active jazz.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Possu jam, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    My GAS has come down to these two basses.
    I just recently (yesterday) played the active jazz, and it felt and sounded great. The price I could get it at is somewhere around 750e.

But then there´s the other one. The Marcus miller jazz bass. I haven´t got a change to play it, and there arent any in my town :crying:
    I could order the MM to a store and then check it out and stuff...

But, which do you prefer and why? Any responses would be nice! :cool:

2. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Tough choice...

I'm kinda in the same boat. My desire for a MM sig bass was rekindled yesterday where at a continuation I was at, the bassist in the quartet had one and boy, did it look good.

I've played both, and if I had a choice, I would go for the MM.

I like the maple neck and the ash body. It just looks nice.

Plus, I've always loved his sound and that's the bass to get it from. Flip the switch and you have his sound.

I've played 2 of the MM and both have been very good.

The deluxe I played was very good as well. Had several different tones and felt very good. I don't know if they are all the same, but the one I played was black with the tort pick guard and it looks great. I just like natural wood better.

The local guitar center had the deluxe for around $650 or so and the MM was at about $850. If there is any way I could get the price down on it, I would get the MM.

Hope that helps.
    JB

3. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    Thanks JB!

The deluxe in he store was a "candy apple red" with a tort pickguard =beautiful.

Anyway, I think I´m going to ask about ordering the MM to the store. I also like the natural wood with maple neck and fingerboard...

4. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Oh, nice!

Ask about their "If I don't like it policy" just in case you don't. One fellow at Guitar Center said I could order anything as long as it was payed up front. If I didn't like it, well, that was my problem.

Just be careful.

JB

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    MM all the WAY! I love mine. Also, I believe you'll find the MMs to be more consistent in quality from bass to bass.

6. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    Yep, the guys in the store know me well and all that stuff. I think they let me order and test if I like it...

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    My local GC is selling the MM for $839 (not sure if that includes case), but at the mere mention of me considering buying it, they dropped it to $750 or so. With some good haggling, you could probably swing something around $700.

8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Marcus Miller for sure!

9. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Marcus Miller is one hell of a bass for the money....

I bought one used with EMG (pickups and electronics) and it has a great sound (both slap and figers)... Can't really speak for the "out-of-box" Marcus Miller sound, but construction is very, very good....

Best Regards.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The Marcus Miller Jazz and the MIA dlx jazz are two different animals. The MIA dlx bass has a 22 fret neck, smaller body and a 3 band pre-amp to start with while the MM bass has a two band eq, standard body and neck. Both have their place in ones arsenal. The only drawback with the MM bass is that it's all boost and no cut, mine has stupid low action and plays like butter! The MIA dlx is boost and cut so you have more tonal variation with that bass. The pre-amp on the MIA dlx bass is also better (IMHO) than the MM bass which can be a little harsh and shrill with treble fully boosted.The MM bass has no tone control in passive mode.

11. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I think he is talking MIM active deluxe, pyro.

12. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    Yeah, I believe that it was a MIM.
    It had noiseless jazz pups on it though... Fender catalog says it´s an update.

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That bass ain't no slow leak either! If it's one of the new ones they REALLY sound nice! Another thing, if the MIM bass is 700 and change how much is the MM gonna cost?

14. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    I think the MM would be somewgere around 900-1000e... bit more pricier than the MIM DLX.

15. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm GASing for a Deluxe Fender Active Jazz. Black with tourtise shell pg. Those things look awesome and sound even better. Anyway, good luck with your decision. God Bless! -Brad

16. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I just got an '03 American Deluxe Jazz. It rules. Amber with tort pickguard and maple board with iradescent fret dots. Looks and sounds awesome.

Never played a Marcus Miller, sorry.

17. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    Seems like I´m going for the MIM dlx jazz.

It would take 2-5 moths to get a MM in here, and then if I wouldn´t like it, I would have waited 5 months for nothing.
    though I think I would really like it, you never know...

18. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Looks like if I will get another bass, that's what I'm going for too.

Either that or if the one I'm looking at is gone, I'm going for a J Standard V in midnight wine and white pickguard.

I've played a candy-apple red with tort guard and it was pretty good! The color didn't set well with me, especially considering the midnight wine was next to it, but it's growing on me.

Hope you get one you like and enjoy.

JB

19. Possu jam

Possu jam

May 16, 2004
    Finland
    I´ll post pics as soon as It´s mine :cool:

20. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Sweet deal!

Guess what, I now own one!

I edited this to put the experience of getting it in other thread and leave yours alone. :)

Story Here

I can say that I love mine and it plays great!

If you get a good one, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

JB