Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Marcus Miller5 or Lakland DJ5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wimpy, Jul 14, 2005.

1. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech republic
    ...hmmm I like to buy some 5 string jazz bass, what do you think?...which one is better ? Thanks for the tip...W.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What do you want in a bass? The DJ5 is a passive bass with hot pickups and the Marcus Miller 5 is active. The DJ5 has a 35" scale and the Fender is 34", I believe. I think the DJ5 is a bit cheaper, and both have good reviews in terms of fit and finish.

3. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech republic
    Hello, I own MM4 but maybe Lakland DJ5 and MM5 seams more universal and I think they sound better then MM4 ... I want bass with great Jazzbass slap&finger sound but 5 strings with good low B...I played both in shop but it was 10 months break between each instrument...

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a lakland DJ5 (Black sparkle/Rosewood) and I recently played a Marcus Miller Jazz 5 at a local GC. My DJ5 has much punchier sounding pick-ups. THE Dj5 pick ups kick a** quite honestly. They are REALLY nice.

The Fender Marcus Miller bass was more '70's sounding and the highs were very glassy ala Marcus. (that's a good thing if that is the tone you're going for) The DJ5 doesn't really do the "Marcus" sound. But it still slaps quite well. The B string on the Lakland = SUPERIOR. It simply SMOKES. It is Huge sounding. I think the fingerstyle tone of the DJ5 is punchier and has more growl than the Fender. the DJ5 also has a smaller body if that matters. Hope that helps. Gary

5. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech republic
    Thanks Gary! So maybe my next baby will be Lakland DJ5, I was also very suprised with sound of DJ, but I had just a few minutes to try DJ in shop. Here in europe specialy Czech rep. is not many DJ's and MM5's so I don't have chance to explore differences...thanks again W.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

NIIIIICE!

I'm lovin' mine (came last week). :D Those Aero pickups pump out some amazing tone, huh?

7. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    aesthetically?

[​IMG]

how could you argue with that, especially with a tort pickguard

flexibility?

You can get the DJ with a J Retro if you wanted an active eq.

MM5 is nice. Only had limited playing experience with it. I would just lean towards the DJ5, though.

your money, my vote