Fender Marcus Miller5 or Lakland DJ5???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wimpy, Jul 14, 2005.

1. wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech republic
    ...hmmm I like to buy some 5 string jazz bass, what do you think?...which one is better ? Thanks for the tip...W.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    What do you want in a bass? The DJ5 is a passive bass with hot pickups and the Marcus Miller 5 is active. The DJ5 has a 35" scale and the Fender is 34", I believe. I think the DJ5 is a bit cheaper, and both have good reviews in terms of fit and finish.
  3. wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech republic
    Hello, I own MM4 but maybe Lakland DJ5 and MM5 seams more universal and I think they sound better then MM4 ... I want bass with great Jazzbass slap&finger sound but 5 strings with good low B...I played both in shop but it was 10 months break between each instrument...
  4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a lakland DJ5 (Black sparkle/Rosewood) and I recently played a Marcus Miller Jazz 5 at a local GC. My DJ5 has much punchier sounding pick-ups. THE Dj5 pick ups kick a** quite honestly. They are REALLY nice.

The Fender Marcus Miller bass was more '70's sounding and the highs were very glassy ala Marcus. (that's a good thing if that is the tone you're going for) The DJ5 doesn't really do the "Marcus" sound. But it still slaps quite well. The B string on the Lakland = SUPERIOR. It simply SMOKES. It is Huge sounding. I think the fingerstyle tone of the DJ5 is punchier and has more growl than the Fender. the DJ5 also has a smaller body if that matters. Hope that helps. Gary
  5. wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech republic
    Thanks Gary! So maybe my next baby will be Lakland DJ5, I was also very suprised with sound of DJ, but I had just a few minutes to try DJ in shop. Here in europe specialy Czech rep. is not many DJ's and MM5's so I don't have chance to explore differences...thanks again W.
  6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm lovin' mine (came last week). :D Those Aero pickups pump out some amazing tone, huh?
  7. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

how could you argue with that, especially with a tort pickguard

You can get the DJ with a J Retro if you wanted an active eq.

MM5 is nice. Only had limited playing experience with it. I would just lean towards the DJ5, though.

your money, my vote