1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mark Hoppus Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M-Hawk, Mar 12, 2010.

1. M-Hawk

M-Hawk

Feb 22, 2009
    Metro Manila
    Hey guys! i was thinking of saving up for a fender mark hoppus bass but i have been reading mixed reviews on the internet so i wanted to ask you tb'ers if you would recommend it? the pro's and cons to it? if its worth the cash? i have never played one and dont think ill have the chance to since i dont know anyone who has one here in the phillippines...your comments/ suggestions will be really appreciated thanks! =D

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I wouldn't buy a bass without a tone knob. Only makes sense if you are mark hoppus and that is your only sound for everything you do. Id get a regular jazz or precision instead.

Luigir likes this.
  3. ShenmueTacos

ShenmueTacos

May 22, 2009
    Virginia
    +1

4. I play this bass as my regular gigging bass. I have others with a tone knob and don't miss it at all because I use flats and use a pretty tubey sound ala either a dimed SVT or a SS Ampeg with a VT bass. I honestly understand why people like to have all sorts of tone, volume, and eqs on their basses, but I don't really need all that. I get that out of my amps and pedals. For the record, this bass sounds great.

5. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    If you don't want a tone knob, go for it, otherwise go for an Fender Aerodyne(sp?)

6. i personally like mine alot and yeah apart from the tone knob it has all the features id want in a fender bass in a nice package.i love jazz bodies ,the p bass sound ,and a fatter neck

7. "Signature" models are a funny thing to me...
    98% of the time, the Musician never used his "Signature" model instrument on his Albums, or if he did it was only on recent albums..

It's like buying a Eric Clapton Signature model because you like the way The Yardbirds, Derek and the Dominos and Cream sounded...
    He never had a signature model back then..
    he was just using an american strat..
    Not that "signature" models aren't great instruments in their own right..:D i'd love a Jaco signature model.. lol:)
    but would never buy one..:bawl:
    I would just save up for a 70's J..:cool:

Why would you wanna sound or be exactly
    like someone else?? it just seems strange???:eyebrow::bag:
    I'f you want to be cool or unique.. buy and new bass and try different
    pickups in it, or pimp it out with crazy paint:bassist:

Plus how you ever gonna get your own signature model
    if you're playing someone else's..???lol:hyper::hyper:

Peace to All Bassist's

Solar likes this.
  8. M-Hawk

M-Hawk

Feb 22, 2009
    Metro Manila
    @MattyBass Good point dude and to everyone else i appreciate the feedback. will definitely think about it =D

9. Pare, my advice is to NOT get the bass. Not being biased or anything, but a P bass with the tone up and some treble and mid added to the EQ will get you in the ball park.

It is my (possibly) naive and ignorant opinion that root riding bassits and 12-14 year olds that are interested in that bass.

Formerly being from the Philppines myself, I know the choice is limited. So go for a regular P bass.

10. trowaclown

trowaclown

Feb 26, 2008
    Nah I'll have to disagree with the above. My Ibanez Gary Willis bass is exactly the axe Gary Willis himself used (the GWB1 has been replaced with the GWB1005), while other models by artists such as Billy Sheehan are also as such.

I do think, however, that this particular model in question seems rather limting as a signature instrument, more to put a name on an already mass produced instrument, in order to coax fans to part with their money.

11. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    My opinion is this:

I have a Hoppus bass, and I love it. HOWEVER, I understand that it is not a bass for everyone, so my recommendation is to listen to Hoppus' music a little bit (everything he's done since "Enema of the State" was done with one of these) and decide if it's a tone that YOU like. You might, and you might not.

Also, I got a screaming deal on mine (300 new) so that might play into it. I think they're really overpriced now, but if you get a good deal go for it I say.

highboltage55 likes this.
  12. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    The Highway 1 series costs less than a Hoppus bass these days. I like it much better than a Hoppus sig, although I did want one in my wee years as a bassist!

13. Bootzilla

Bootzilla

May 4, 2009
    I would buy the hoppus and add a tone knob myself. You shouldn't buy a signature model because your favorite bassist uses it but because you like the features/sound/feel of the bass. I can't stand blink but I think hoppus his sig is a great bass (if you add a tone knob).

Ben1391 likes this.
  14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Search "Hoppus" :rolleyes:

15. It also has a Jazz body paired with a P neck, not to mention a few finish options that you can't really get on anything else, so it probably appeals to more people than just 12 years olds.

I could really do without a tone knob. In fact, 4 out of my five basses are without one. I don't find myself in the middle of a song thinking "man I could really use that tone knob just about now!" It's not something that would keep me from buying any bass. That's not the case for everyone though. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to add one if you really found it necessary.

allTimeFavorite and Fleebag like this.
  16. adding a tone control isn't exactly rocket science.

unless, of course, you're adding it to a rocket.

so i dont see that as a negative point, drill one hole in pickguard, spend a minute soldering and you're done.

17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    About three years ago, my GC had three new ones on a four-day sale for (exactly) $333.66 each. They didn't sell one. I think a lot of it was the atrocious MIM build, but still...

I'm kind of surprised these are still around.

18. There's a Hoppus on KC craigslist now and has been on there for over a year if that tells you anything.

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That doesn't tell me anything. These are very good basses. I've seen them go pretty quickly in the classifieds. I despise blink 182 and don't think much of Mark Hoppus, but it's a fine bass.

20. Plekan is right...it nails that punk sound perfectly, and the build quality has been good on all the ones I've tried (and I've tried many). You can easily retrofit a stacked knob if you want tone control later on.

The only drawback for me is the weight...I've found them to be unnecessarily heavy, so I've never bought one.

Ultimately, no complaints on the sound or build quality. If you like the aesthetic, you're going to buy one. If not, then no.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020