Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mark Hoppus Signature Model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheDefiler, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Standard P-Bass

71 vote(s)
    85.5%
  2. Hoppus Signature

12 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. TheDefiler

TheDefiler Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    Maryland
    I currently own a Squier Standard P-Bass Special :( , and I'm considering upgrading to a Fender P-Bass. I just want to ask if the Mark Hoppus signature is in anyway superior to the Fender Standard P-Bass (sound-wise).

2. A million people are going to say that the Precision is superior to the Mark Hoppus because the MH doesn't have a tone knob.

I'm always using the tone knob on my P-bass. I would go for the regular Precision.

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Play both and choose the one you like best. Both are nice, and I think the MIM P is cheaper than the HoPpUs Bass.

If you can, try out the Steve Harris sig P too.

4. icks

icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'd go for the Mark Hoppus because it'a a nice Seymour Duncan pu and it's also string thu body !

If you like Blink 182, or you play punk, or just like his tone
    go for it !

BUt! the P is more versatile than the MH

5. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    they cost the same, but the P sounds better than the MH to me, and the MH looks pretty stupid in pastels:rolleyes:

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    You get a better punk tone out of the Fender Standard Precision. The pickup that comes with the Mark Hoppus bass has a scooped-mid tone that doesn't sound too good for punk, IME. Punk tone is generally associated with boosted midrange, rather than cut mids.

7. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    whosa whata?

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    There is a Custom Mark Hoppus bass? omg....

:rolleyes:

9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Why not shell out the extra dough and get yourself a FiEldY SiGnaTuRe IbAnEz?

;)

Like pokin' a rabid grizzly with a stick.

10. mesabass

mesabass

Jun 26, 2002
    new orleans
    i think that this bass is one of the worst basses that ive played, its too awkward. id rather have a standard p bass and if u want u could upgrade the pups with some seymour duncan ones or something.

or you could go all out and get urself a stingray!:)

11. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Hmm. How much are you selling it for. Im looking for a P-bass.

12. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada

It has a p-bass neck and a jazz bass body. How is that awkward?

13. TheDefiler

TheDefiler Guest

Mar 15, 2002
    Maryland
    Thx everybody, I'm gonna go with the Standard P-Bass

14. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    hahahahahahaha:p

15. Another vote for the P bass.If you get a MIM you can upgraid the pup,etc. down the road(if so inclined).If you opt for a nice used MIA you really won`t have to upgrade at all,as the stock pup really
    sounds great!

I love my P! :D :cool:

16. Of course, if you get the Hoppus bass, you probably won't want to upgrade the pickup since it's a pretty good pickup (from what I have read)...

17. The Hoppus bass reminds me of an Aria Diamond Standard I had in my youth (sorry, attatchment denied by TB admin due to being a .tif file), but the neck on "Old Reliable" was a thinner J-profile, whereas the Hoppus is a regular chunkier P-profile. The P pickup on a J body is the common thread. The thru-body stringing is very nice for the sound and string tension, and these may be important factors to you. Seymour pickups are some of the finest passive pickups out there, so that's also a plus for the Hoppus. My vote on your poll was still for the regular P; you can't go wrong.

One thing the Hoppus does strike me on is that it appears to be ideally suited fo mounting the pickup for the Roland V-bass system where a J-style bridge pickup would be. The lack of tone controls means that the Roland control module would not be crowded when mounted in that area. If I ever decide to have a dedicated Roland axe, I'd definitely go this route, but would replace the neck with a J neck.

I do agree with a prior poster here that the pastel colors look wack.

18. OK so here is "Old Reliable" in the right format. Photo dates from Novermber 1986 if memory serves.

19. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey, and you can almost see that bass. ;) :D

20. Believe me... it's pretty good to be Fieldy's stuff... the only think i dislike is that K5 inlay. Plays better than many Ibanez and other brands similar basses...

(A friend bought that one some days ago, :mad: )

EBP