Fender Mark Hoppus signature!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Aug 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    This has to be THE JOKE OF THE YEAR.....
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Mark Hoppus doesnt deserve a signature bass!! That isnt even his bass! the pickguard is all different
  3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    maybe is just an affordable version (it´s a MIM) of the original Mark Hoppus Bass... but what do I know?! :D
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    looking the other pictures i saw some nice JT pictures :)

hey JT i have the same Tool Shirt :D:D:D
  5. mark hoppus doesnt even know how to play a bass, why dont they let the talented bassists have signature basses instead?
  6. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Boy, Mark Hoppus is a really talented bassist. If only I were as good as him. I would buy that bass just so I could burn it (even though killing a bass is morally wrong:D). I can imagine all the crappy bassits just being drawn to that bass like a magnet.
  7. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    What they are doing is clearly good business.

Why don't they give talented bassists signature basses?

Logically, the kids starting out on bass will want to play bass like someone they enjoy, for example Mark Hoppus from Blink182. Doesn't matter if he sucks, he appeals to kids.

Businesses always appeal to the majority. That's how they get more money.

Same reason why they are very few lefty instruments.
  8. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    very true. is it just me or is that really ugly!?! maybe its just the angle .............. or not!!! :D
  9. They most likly made this bass because of the same reason they made the tom delonge sig. guitar. There was high demand, it was a custom design, andfeatures that you cannot find on any other fender guitar (quarter lb'er pu (so i've heard) p pickup in a jazz body) and fender is a company, looking to make money, look at it any way you want, they just simply want money. I think the bass (which he plays) looks cool, the one that fender designed, looks ugly, they should have made the two piece pick gaurd, like jazz basses have, and not a jazz/precision pick gaurd.

The discussion about the need of this bass is also carried over to the discussion about the need of the tom delonge sig. guitar. Look over at the FDP where it was disputed heavily.
  10. spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I personally prefer the next one (11) much more. As for Mr. Mark not being a talented bassist, that is a different argument. From my point of view Blink 182 is trying to be a MTV version of a hardcore punk band, no offense to any but I've never heard a very good bassist playing in a punk band Muttluk, what is FDP?
  11. Cause those companies getting endorsed by clowns like that mark hoppus guy, are expecting to sell a lot by using this idiot´s image..
  12. FDP is "Fender Discussion Page" which is a discussion forum quite like this one, about fender. Just look in their archives under "tom delonge" and "mark hoppus" and you'll pull out what i'm talking about, the url is www.fenderforum.com
  13. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Well, they'll sell about a gajillion of them so you can't blame Fender for wanting to make some money.

John, I too have that Tool T-Shirt. Except three sizes smaller. :p :D
  14. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Settle down about whether he deserves one or not, all of you, I could be mistaken that you were all jealous or something...

If you dont like the music he plays, then dont listen to it and dont bitch about it. He is talented, maybe not as much as some of your fave old bassists in those funk bands you love so much but he is good at what he does and Fender know it. I'd much rather Fender keep in touch with music rather than to try and please the minority constantly making sig guitars of this old crusty bass player because he is more "talented" than a popular new bassist.
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i don't mind if hoppus is good or not. i don't listen to his band, but that bass is a good idea, a jazz with a p pickup is an interesting idea!!
  16. Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I agree with pretty much everyone on this. Yes, I wouldn't bother to cross the street to piss on that guy if he was on fire and yes, we should go back to our beloved funk/rock/jazz/whatever bands and stop b*tching about this pop-"punk" to people who actually find it worth listening.

But about the bass. I'd say they gave him a signature bass simply because fender doesn't have that "teenage image". (so much for that then :) ) Fender has a reputation of tradiotional instruments and this move will simply put more $$$ into Fender pockets when they get the teenagers away from ibanez etc. or something.. does it make any sense?
  17. I think it looks EXCELLENT, anyone who says otherwise is a knucklehead, :oops:|).

In all seriousness, what did you guys find SO distasteful about it? It's a bass.
  18. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Tuomas, CBS no longer owns or has anything to do with Fender.
  19. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    The bass looks ok... i wouldn't want it... but why oh why give Mark hoppus a signature bass... just my thoughts of course

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.