Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mark Hoppus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 24, 2005.

1. righto, i did a quick search and noticed the 'hate' on this bass....but i would just like to know, if i slapped some flats on it, think it'd be suitable for 50's rock/blues...id only get it in black or white mind you :p

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    does it come in black in white? i thoght it only came in 3 colors.

and the thing is, you still can't adjust tone from the bass.

3. i cant adjust the passive tone on my ksd either...its all in the hands...

according to fender frontline 2005 it comes in daphne blue, olympic white, black and surf green

i had a good look at it, i admit, i used to palm it off cos it was mark hoppus, but i love the combination of pbass necks on a jazz body, and i need a good p-bass for my new blues outfit's..and ive always preferred jazz bodies over precisions...im just not 100% on the quarter pounder

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i was looking for a p/j sound so i got a deluxe p special

p body
    j neck

p/j pickups

same price

5. Count_Bassy

Count_Bassy

Feb 3, 2005
    San Diego
    ooo! I own one. It's served me well these past years. It's absolutely wonderful for jazz or anything else except maybe that heavier stuff.

gee... fender is great isn't it? The only company that makes bass sigs. from mark to jaco ^__^ haha

AJ.

ps. they also make it in pink. Mine is daphne blue ...

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I still don't know why they call the Hoppus bass a jazz bass.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i love the hoppus bass. i totally want a pink one.

8. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I think the Hoppus bass would work fine for what your asking. I have a P bass with Quarter Pounders and D'Adarrio chrome flats and they work very well together.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That's a joke... Right?

It could serve you well indeed. Would it be cheaper to warmoth it though, or something else similar? I mean, you ARE paying a lot for the name, even if the bass does sound good.

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    SURF GREEN BITCHES!

It is an original 50s colour anyway.

11. man, the mark hoppus is only $1200aus at parramatta music...$300 more than a mexi p.....and clay, im after the complete opposite, jazz body, p sound, p neck....i guess id mainly use it for my blues stuff, and i may use it for me funky stuff too

i just dont have any experience with the quarter pounders....i read its a mexi jazz body and by the looks of it a mexi p bass neck, it even says precision on the headstock....

and man, screw warmoth, why should i pay extra to import something when i can go grab one off the shelf and there we go.

count_bassy, i think they've discontinued the pink, this years frontline mag doesnt say its available in pink....but i dont want it in pink, black with the pearloid white pickguard...mmm...i might mod it with the traditional control plate though

12. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I have a hoppus bass (in pink as a matter of fact). Anyway, as I've said before, once you get past the name on the neck plate, it is what it is--a mexican precision with a jazz body, string through bridge, and a quarter pounder pup a little closer to the neck. I've found that the pup positioning may give it a little more thumpiness and I personally find the pups a little on the abrasive side, but I'm sure lots of people love them. Maybe it wouldn't be an issue with flats on it. If you get it and don't like the pups, I wouldn't think it would be too hard to find a trade.

13. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    ever checked out the reggie hamilton sig model? Im dying to try one out. if you switched the neck for a precision neck, itd be perfect.

14. no...thats classed as a custom shop artist, not an off the shelf artist...plus they're like 4 grand or so?....basically im after a precision, but a jazz body just screams sex to me

plus the regigie hamilton looks a little over the top in the controls section to me

15. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    The Hoppus basses do look pretty hot. If the tone control is an issue, it could always be rewired like a Standard P, no? I'd hit it.

16. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    C'mon guys. The tone comes from the hands. Tone controls are for sissies. I'd be happy if none of mine had tone controls.

I've got one. It's nice. I also have a '52 P and a '58 P. For run of the mill gigs the Hoppus will be fine.

17. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    Didn't say it didn't. But there are those of us out there who may not be the greatest players yet and need a bit of help. Some guys use a pedal board that would make a fighter pilot cringe.. some of us utilize a tone knob on occasion. I don't see using a tone knob as any more a crutch than a veteran player with 5-10 pedals. At least I run clean into the head right?

18. Now that's just naiveté, plain and simple.

Sure, a person will still play like themselves on any instrument, but they sure as hell won't sound good if they're always trapped in one prefabricated tone.

-edit-

Good is too subjective a term.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that tone in my opinion, is more important to me than volume. I'd rather have one tone knob with the volume always cranked than the other way around.

19. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Naivete? I've been a full time touring pro for 25 years.

My opinion is that the more circuitry between the pickup and the amp, the more the tone degrades.

I also think that a player should develop his or her tone acoustically before relying on electronics to beef it up.

20. dude i hate to say it but you really should consider importing your new bass from the states. their basses are less than half the price we pay over here in oz. so even after you pay feight and any taxes you are still saving thousands - im doing this as we speak! also most bass shops in the US will offer to devalue your bass for customs purposes so you dont have to pay so much tax on it when it arrives!!! or if you have a friend in the US get the bass shop to send it to them, then have your friend forward it to you as a birthday present so you wont have to pay any tax on it!!! :hyper: