1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender may not be for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndrly, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Some people seem to love Fender basses, but I'm not sure if I want to. My Jazz bass copy can get a lot of feedback unless both pickups are on, and I don't like the sound from the bass. Also, the Precision bass seems too simple. Perhaps Fender isn't for me.

I once tried out an active Yamaha bass. It sounded pretty good. Also, I've heard some good stuff about the G&L L-2000 basses. In fact, in general, maybe I should use active Fender-style basses (yes, that would include the Stingray).

Anyone else think that Fender isn't for them?

2. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Here, put this suit on.

3. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    It was nice knowing you.... :ninja:

...seriously, Fender isn't for everyone. Just play what suits you and forget everyone else.

I note that you mention that you are playing a Jazz copy. You need to try the real deal before deciding that Fender is either for or not for you. The feedback issue is an electronics issue not a bass-style issue in this case. The sound could be related to the electronics or they could be a non-standard jazz type pickup.

Try a bit of everything before you make up your mind. It will also help solidify the facts for you.

4. bassguppy

bassguppy

Jan 8, 2003
    Queens
    You don't like Fenders? :eyebrow:

What's wrong with you man!!!

To each his own, some people (myself included) sometimes go in cycles where one day it's Fender the other day it's Spector (did I just say that?).

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    Yes you did! ;) In my case it's Peavey or Fender.

6. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    It is, indeed, entirely possible that Fender isn't for you. Much like I figured out (the hard way) that both Warwick Corvettes and the dreaded BC Rich (ugghhhh!) Warlock weren't for me.

Luckily, I was able to sell them to a couple of guys who thought that they just might be "right for them"!!!

7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    ummm.....no

I tend to think, personally, that anyone who thinks Fender isn't right for them just hasn't played the right ones yet. My $0.02.

To each his own though. Try as many basses as possible, and don't leave out Fenders just because of past experiences with them. Find what works best for you and go with it.

8. Nothing quite like doing the right thing. ;)

9. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    :bag: is it safe to come out??

But its totally understandable that Fenders might not be your tpye of cake. People give me weird looks when I tell them I dont care all that much for Warwicks....

10. Mattionals

Mattionals Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Doylestown, PA
    I know the same feeling. I have "outgrown" my Fender G.A.S. only because I kept feeling that it wasn't the perfect fit for me. That perfect fit happened to be EBMM. Though I did like the Roscoe Beck model...

11. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

fender's crap.

just another corporate monolith out for dollars over quality.

evidence: swr, sunn, the prices of MIA fenders like there's a shortage of jazzes and precisions.

nuts to fender.

12. Try an Ibanez Sound Gear or Sound Gear Exteme, Try a Spector, Try different basses Spectors have EMG pickups and are very different froma Fender, and try a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz before you decide not to go Fender-it has that hum but you can switch out the pickups on any Fender.

13. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO if you don't want to give up on the Jazz bass, try out a few Fenders and a few more non-Fender Jazz-style basses. If you're still unimpressed, move onto another brand/style of bass. There's a lot of great basses out there besides Jazz basses.

14. Two things:

Son, you aren't talking about Fender, but rather a fender COPY. So why not list the mfr. of the bass you're really talking about?

If it sounds good, it is good. Trust YOUR ears.

15. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Oy, I could start threads announcing that I didn't like several different brands of basses I tried--but what exactly would be the point?

16. I've never been a "Fender guy" mainly because, well, to me, bass instrument creation has come a long way in the last 50 years, and I see no reason not to take advantage of it. I'm not a huge fan of the look, feel, or sound of Fender (or Fender-style) basses. There are newer designs for almost every part of the bass that have improved (IMO) the instruments that we use to create music. Remember, most of the "legends" that we know who used Fender basses (and guitars) did so because they were the LATEST AND GREATEST instruments around at their time. I would wager that a large percentage of those musicians would not be playing a Fender if they were growing up today, they would be much more likely to be playing a newer, latest and greatest design. Yet, it is the fact that those musicians played Fenders in their heyday that is a big part of the reason for their current popularity.

That being said, as my two main basses (A Warwick Thumb and a Peavey Cirrus) have been undergoing repairs/work i've been playing my first bass, a MIM Fender P-Bass Special, for the last couple of months. I have enjoyed playing it and am looking forward to upgrading the pickups/electronics/hardware on it in the near future so as to have a good "Fender-style" bass laying around if I ever need it.

There are alot of working musicians on this board who will tell you that having at LEAST one Fender-style bass around is essential to making your customers happy, and I would not hesitate for a second to play one if the job called for it.

In addition, as i'm sure alot of guys are going to point out, you should probably get your hands on a killer-quality fender or fender-clone, such as a Sadowsky or Fender MIA/Custom Shop before you completely write off Fenders for yourself...

17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

:eek:

:mad:

Get out of my house!!

:p

18. Ditto...except for the part about the Roscoe Beck bass. Nice bass, but signature models will never go on my GAS list.

19. My bass is a Greg Bennett Fairlane. It really sucks. I am never going to use it live or in the studio.

20. We're about to find out if I like me some Fender. I'm a Music Man guy to the bone but I have a Fender on the way just to try out.

Really, Fender or any brand isn't for all of us.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.