1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender (maybe?) bass recognition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VLADOi, Sep 18, 2008.

1. VLADOi

VLADOi

Aug 29, 2006
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Right,

So I might have the chance to buy this bass at a VERY low price, suspiciously low actually. All I've got is these pictures.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/vladoi/PICT0069.jpg
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/vladoi/PICT0070.jpg
    http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/vladoi/PICT0072.jpg

I am yet to receive any additional information from the seller, hopefully pics of the neck joint, back plate etc., but does it even look real? I have no experience whatsoever with Fender instruments, and I don't really like Jazz necks, but for the money the guy is asking it could be well worth it. The body seems kind of strange - is that PLYWOOD?!:confused: At the same time the top look really nice...
    Any advice/information much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    What is suspicious is the lack of a serial number on the head ...

hey if the bass is cheap and it sounds and plays good then maybe you should get it ...

3. The body is made of plywood, i striped the finish of a squier recently and it looked exactly the same, cheap plywood! I would say its not worth buying, but maybe its really cheap and plays alright! I know i wouldnt want to play a piece of plywood, its against everything i believe in!

4. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    that's not a real Fender...
    bridge: wrong
    body: seriously wrong!
    logo: looks weird

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't know. Never seen a top like that on an older Fender. The fretboard is in need of some major love and care! Doesn't look like the normal type Jazz knobs. The bridge and pickups.................whoo! How low a price are you talking about? Look at the way the strings are wound on the tuning posts! This bass was not loved!

6. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Run away! Fake!

7. pierreganseman

pierreganseman

Aug 23, 2008
    Brussels
    don't get it... looks fake...

8. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    if those are genuine dimarzio pickups, they might be worth $ 50. if they are schaller pickups, they might be worth $ 25. if the bass costs $ 50. or so, i would buy it. later, ron

9. VLADOi

VLADOi

Aug 29, 2006
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Apparently someone saved me the trouble and bought it already :)
    Anyway after the comments here I wouldn't have got it anyway.

Thanks a lot everybody!

10. look at the neck pocket. very loose. not well made at all, whateveer it is.

11. The decal is a Fender 70's decal without the 70's Fender rectangular fret markers. Look them up on Ebay. They started using that decal in late 67 but mostly 68 thru the 70's. You don't see that decal with those fret markers they didn't make them. And as was stated the body is plywood, very nice burl topped plywood but not a Fender.
    Remember these easy Fender facts;
    1950's Fender; Maple neck with spaghetti headstock logo
    1960's Fender; Rosewood neck with three types of headstock logo, 1960 to 1963(spaghetti) 64 to 67 (small block) then and 1968(large block)
    1970's Fender; Maple and Rosewood with binding same BIG logo on headstock.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Nice string job on that E string specifically. jeeesh