1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender MB-5 Replacement Body Options? (wood split at worst possible spot)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cscrawford, Feb 28, 2013.

1. cscrawford

cscrawford

May 16, 2009
    Hi guys. Well I need some help here...I have a Fender MB-5 made in 1993-1994 that has a body cracked at the bridge . It isn't repairable, the string load is already moving things and a chip of wood just fell out as I started typing. Bottom line, I want a replacement body because the neck is great, pickups upgraded etc. Neck measures 66mm wide at the body. Warmoth has 2 5 string neck/body options and they are 73mm and 74mm. The appeal of the MB-5 is the narrow neck, but now I'm having trouble finding a new body.

One reason it split is that previous owner upgraded to a larger, heavier bridge made by 2-Tek. Enough wood was routed out the body obviously couldn't handle the load. I'm great with woodworking but this doesn't look doable with the load, besides I want to paint it anyway.

So...is there a body that this will mate with?
    Japanese MB-5, serial # O030122

Technically it would be a J-bass, but being a relatively rare Japanese 5 string my guess is that it would be difficult to find a common body match short of getting one from another MB-5. The serial number was in the "odd serial numbers" section, and shows an "O" prefix making it Japanese 1993-1994. Also, this is not the "Squier" MB-5 that I believe came out later.

Thanks for any input :)
    -Chris