1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Medium Scale Jazz Basses: JB62M vs AJB-M

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 25oclock, Mar 13, 2016.

1. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    So, I really want a Fender medium scale jazz bass and have no way of comparing the JB62M to the AJB-M. I used to play a long scale MIJ Fender Jazz, hurt my hand and so I picked up a MIJ Mustang Bass. But it doesn't have the tone I'm looking for so I'm now ready to sell or trade it to get a medium scale. Just don't know which one to get.

2. Hey Clock

Sorry to hear about your hand. My vote would be for the JB62-M. I love mine. It's truly an extraordinary instrument. But good luck finding one. Since Fender Japan stopped making them - they are rapidly disappearing - and the price is escalating quickly as well. There was a backlog of new Aerodynes at Fender Japan in medium scale - and they are still readily available. If you find a new JB62-M or even a nice used one - my advice is to jump on it quickly. When they are gone they are gone.

Jazz.

johnclink and BassmanM like this.
  3. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    Hi Happy,

Any idea what the key differences might be between the two? Is the JB62 body smaller than a full scale? Also, just visited Happy the Man site. Any of the albums feature your JB62-M?

4. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    Wait a minute!!!! Something just dawned on me after sampling Happy the Man. Do you know the prog band Proud Peasant? I just made their latest single cover for them, due this spring, and Xander mentioned Happy the Man to me in previous conversations. Cool.

5. Hey Clock

Yes, the bodies on the Fender Japan JB62-M are scaled down approximately 6% from the original full scale model. No, the first studio record was mostly my Rickenbacker as Paul was still building PRS #7. I ended up using #7 on one track on the first one. On the most recent album "The Muse Awakens" it was the Roscoe twins. Everything in between for over 19 years was PRS #11, which I eventually had to retire because it became to valuable to ever leave the house.

I have used the Jazz on some recent recordings, none of which are finished or released as of yet. I have never had a chance to A-B the Aerodyne to the JB62-M but they are probably very similar. One of this things I didn't care for with respect to the Aerodyne mediums is - as far as I know - they are all pained automotive colors. I believe they were offered in black, red, white and gun metal greay. I prefer to see some wool grain on my instruments, plus I am pretty conventional about the body shape and contours. But I don't think you could be unhappy with either - they are both fine instruments.

The name Proud Peasant rings a bell, but I am not sure exactly when or where. You have any links to their stuff?

6. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    Thanks for the info. This helps. Do you notice a big tonal difference between long and medium scale?

I'm going to explore Happy the Man's albums. Which one should I start with? This is Proud Peasants site. PROUD PEASANT | The Official Page of Proud Peasant

BassHappy likes this.
  7. Hello Clock

Cool, thanks! I don't see any music links though on the site?

I would say the best thing for the Happy the Man tunes is to hit the juke box on our website.

Lots of tunes to check out there with free streaming!

Happy the Man - Listening Post

8. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    Excellent.

Here's one tune from P. Peasant

BassHappy likes this.
  9. canuckshort

canuckshort Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Don't know anything about the AJB-M but I own a white and tort JB62-M and it is wonderful instrument. Balances beautifully. I agree with everything BassHappy has to say about them including that they are becoming harder to get. If you are interested in the JB62-M, I would check in on Ishibashi UBox (no affiliation other than happy customer)regularily. I have seen two up there recently, one of which I purchased.

10. Hey Clock

Nice very nice! THANKS so much for posting.

11. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    Hi Happy,

What HTM albums did you play on?

12. Hey Clock

All of them....

Several different drummers though....

13. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    Have you ever recorded with your JB62? Are the pickups quiet?

14. canuckshort

canuckshort Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Sorry, haven't recorded with it but I can't see the pickups being quiet.

15. 25oclock

25oclock

Aug 25, 2014
    Sumware, Texas
    Sweet. I visited progarchives.com and am listening to your debut now. Top notch. Really great. I'm going to listen to your whole catalog and look for an LP of my favorite. What is your bass of choice in the studio and why? I have prog/folk project that I'm aiming to record in the 2016/17. On that note, i found a guy selling a vintage white JB62-M 20 minutes from my house! I can't believe it. Checking it out this Friday.

16. Hello Clock

Hey, sounds like a great score on the Jazz JB62-M! Good luck with that!

I had Paul Reed Smith build me a custom bass in 1976 - it was PRS #7 - but I ended up swapping it back for PRS #11, which I preferred. It was a full 24 fret two octave bass. It was the only bass I owned for over 19 years. When the band got signed to a new deal around 1999 - I had the PRS appraised and I almost fell off my chair. I realized I could never take it out of the house again. So, I used a Rick on most of the first record, as Paul was still building #7. I used PRS #11 exclusively throughout my career - but for "The Muse Awakens" - I had retired the PRS and I had Keith Roscoe build me a couple of 24 fret medium scale twins. I used them exclusively on that record. I don't have pictures of the Rick the way it was back in the day, but here are the studio basses:

StudioBasses.

Thanks for the kind words. I find that with rhythm section players and their favorite tracks or albums - it sometimes boils down to the drummers as much as anything. It wasn't quite like Spinal Tap - we never had a drummer spontaneously combust - but our drummer chair turned out to be a revolving door with a different one on each studio record.

We were lucky to sport some great drumming talent over the years. The drummer on "Happy the Man" - the first one - was Mike Beck, who was much more into orchestrating and doing the precision percussion thing - ala Jamie Muir of King Crimson. Hard to keep him on the drum kit actually - he had over 200 instruments he used - to noodle around with onstage and in the studio. The "Crafty Hands" drummer was Ron Riddle who was an original member of the Cars, toured with Stu Hamm and was a member of Blue Oyster Cult for a number of years. Multi-talented dude, also a very successful music for film composer. Much more of a power drummer, although he did have a bit of a sensitive side when he needed it. The third drummer was Coco Roussel - a frenchman who was in Clearlight Symphony and Heldon before he came to the US. He was more or less somewhere in between the two. On "The Muse Awakens" it is Joe Bergamini who is an amazingly fine drummer, much more along the lines of Ron Riddle I would say - a teacher, transcriber for Modern Drummer, an author and a guy that has logged an incredible amount of time on Broadway - as the drummer for Movin' Out, Jersey Boys, Rock of Ages and others. He has his own band "Forefront" and he was in a very respected Rush tribute band called "Power Windows".

So there are huge debates over which version of the band one prefers. I think "Crafty Hands" is probably my favorite if I had to pick one - although I lived and love them all. I would readily admit though - that my Happy the Man greatest hits playlist would include tracks from all of them. So you know, there are over a dozen unauthorized "live" bootlegs on the market for sale - as well as the studio and basement recordings....

Thanks again for your kindness and best of luck on that JB62-M!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016