Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender mexican bass from 1999 What is the body material?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Manfred_Bass, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Manfred_Bass

Manfred_Bass

Mar 16, 2005
    ponce, PR
    A friend of mine is offering me a mexican Fender Jazz bass from 1999(When we checked the serial number). The thing is that this bass was on a gig bag for six years and only have been played two or three times. I would like to take a view but I will like to know the body material. I dont know if it is alder,poplar or basswood.
    Any of you know what materials they were using in 1999 for standard jazz basses mede in mexico? Or any way to know or a place to look?

2. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Solid paint should be alder. Transparent should be ash.

3. Manfred_Bass

Manfred_Bass

Mar 16, 2005
    ponce, PR
    Thank you. The bass is color Purple. So by your post I assume that is made of alder. How can I make the difference between them?But why they were using poplar in the last couple of years. It is cheaper? is better? or is just different?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

"just different" is a good choice for it. Fender generally uses alder/ash/poplar depending upon what's plentiful/cheaper and of decent quality at the time. Ash tends to have a better grain for see through finishes, but can be heavier than the other two, and while they all have different tonal characteristics, they're all in the same ballpark.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Alder or Poplar I would think.

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Unless he gets one from that one year, you know...when they made the bodies out of lard?

Didn't sell too many that year.

7. Manfred_Bass

Manfred_Bass

Mar 16, 2005
    ponce, PR
    How can I tell the difference by just looking at the wood?

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Ash tends to be lighter, more of a 'blonde' color. The graining patterns tend to be strong. Alder, at least most of what I've seen is a bit darker, more of a 'tan' color. The grain isn't usually as bold as it can be in ash. Of course that differs from piece to piece.

Check out the pics and descriptions listed at Warmoth. They're not too detailed, but you'll get the idea. They don't list a lard option.

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

9. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Poplar would would be similar to alder in tone. Doesn't look real good as it is grey/green in color. Widely used, and probably cheaper than alder. Most people couldn't tell the difference between them, so don't sweat it.

10. :cool: Becareful now. With all of the past "rumors" of "laminated" bodies, this thing might be laminated layers of "crushed tortilla chips", or Lord knows what;) HA!

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's wrong for a MIM bass made in 1999, Those basses where made of poplar up until approximately 2001 when they switched to alder bodies. They had no ash/alder option back then for MIM basses only MIA basses, that's why they are called "standard" basses!

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I've got to be honest...any of the 3 choices are going to be alright for that bass. Poplar wouldn't be a deal killer, neither would ash or alder. At use MIM prices, you can't really go wrong with any of the above.

13. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Im not sure if 1999 or 2000 was the year they upgraded them. If it has the plain black knobs it's alder. If it has the cheap knobs with the numbers on them it's poplar.

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a 2001 MIM dlx jazz and It's got a poplar body, I remember the switch to alder after I bought my MIM dlx new. I also bought a MIM p-bass that was ordered straight from Fender late 2001, I wanted a new color that just came out and that color was agave blue. At that time the purplish color was discontinued! My p-bass also did not have the new sticker on the pickguard that claimed " new upgrade" meaning the pup change and alder body. I believe this sticker mentioned the new body was alder. The new upgrade for the jazz bass was an alder body and a longer bridge pup. So if the pups are the same size it's a poplar body!