Fender Mexican Deluxe P-Bass Special?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Have anyone here played one? now it seems like my Fender Geddy Lee buy is going wrong, so i wondered if anyone had played the Fender Mexican Deluxe P-Bass Special with Maple Fretboard and could tell me how it plays? i think if i dont get the geddy lee, his will be the bass im going for(I have an feeling i will be upgrading it after an while if i get the deluxe bass...)

2. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    20 wiew and not one reply? :(
  3. Where have you seen these? How much do they go for? I might be interested if they're cheap enough.
  4. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    saw them in some norwegian stores.. for some reason they are not up on fenders site... i dont thik they are that expensive in USA.. here in norway they cost around 1300$ (but again, you cant compare prices like that becouse of the courses..)

probaly around 800$ in usa?

Maple fretboards arent standard from Mexico...
  5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    They sold from between $500-$600 new in the USA. They have been discontinued, but Fender is coming out with pretty much the same bass except with active electronics.

What I liked is that they had a thinner jazz neck on the precision body. Unlike my Hot Rod P which is a P all the way plus the added bridge pickup.

6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
  7. UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    i think i have what your talking about. its has p and j pups. the one i have is black with gold anodized pickgard and maple board. The neck is from a jazz i believe and its much thinner than my usa p bass. good bass overall for the price. If im not mistaken i think they are discontinued now...thats why they won't be on the fender site, but correct me if i'm wrong
  8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    That is an American Precision Bass Deluxe...

Here is the Deluxe P Bass Special:

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have one. A 2000 MIM Sunburst with Maple Fretboard. I love it. It is comfortable and versitile. I have modified mine however to fit along with what I do. I have changed the bridge to a BadAss II. I replaced the pickups with EMG's and added a EMG 18v Preamp. This bass is everything my Modulus is and more. I love the radius of the neck and the fast Maple neck. Can't loose with one of these.
  10. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I had a MIM P-Bass Special with passive P/J pickups. Red with a gold anodized pickguard. It felt and played as good as my MIA P-Basses and it had the skinny J-Bass neck. That was back in 1999 but unless the quality has gone down on the Mexican basses I would highly recommend one. The price back then was about $479.