Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mexican Jazz Bass (Active)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JebusChrist, Jun 18, 2005.

1. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/79051714.html
    should I?
    ive been thinking about adding some diversity to my rig ( i only have a fender p bass), and this jazz seems to be a good chioce. would it be a good first 5 stringer, and would the active electronics eliminate that annoying hum yet still retain the classic jazz bass tone. just give me some comments on why i should or shouldn't get this bass. and ps, im going to try it out before i buy it, so dont worry about warning me of bad action, or a poor setup

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    They're very nice basses...certainly good enough to be your first and only 5 string. Sure some will argue with me about that but that's my opinion. Having written that, I later moved to a J5 with a custom made neck, but the only reason was that I got to choose the nut width, neck profile, etc.

The neck is somewhat beefy but very playable. I found that the more you play it, the more comfortable it becomes.

I didn't care much for the EQ and left it flat most of the time, but I generally do that with my active basses anyway.

$350 is a reasonable price.

The only two advantages that a US made J5s have (at double to triple the price) are graphite bars in the neck and a combination bridge (top loading or through body).

The Pau Ferro fingerboard is very nice.

That bass, assuming it's in good condition, plays well, etc. will serve you well and will probably always be worth the $350 that you spent on it...

Good luck!!!

3. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    thanks for the feedback, anyone else have anything to add?

4. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    Go for it. My passive FEnder MIM Jazz cost me $900.
    I'm from rip off Ireland. But still that is extremely reasonably priced.

5. Some people don't like 5 string Fenders, but I know a guy who plays one and his sounds great. I'd def take it for 350. I guarantee you wont be dissapointed, Jazzes are true animals.