Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mexico Deluxe 5 VS Fender American Deluxe 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JWS, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Hi

I like to buy a Fender Jazzbass Deluxe 5. But I can´t decide if I should buy the cheaper Mexican or the original American.

Or is there someone who thinks that a deluxe Jazzbass 5 isn´t a good decition for an allroundbass?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    howdy

i'd say that you can definitely find some great bargains with a MIM jazz 5. i've been impressed with some of the ones that i've seen, although some have been real lame too.

i would say that if were going to get a 5 string jazz bass, i would get a MIM jazz 5 and then get the j-retro on board preamp replacement for the passive controls. those two together sound awesome.

3. John, the MIM has the same preamp as the MIA.
    Differences are:
    MIA has solid body, ash or alder depending on finish,
    MIM has cheap body with veneers front and back.
    MIM has skunk stripe
    MIA has Pau Ferro board
    MIA has rolled edges on board and frets, feels much better than MIM.
    MIA has string thru option.
    I have tested these side by side, and the MIA does sound and play better.

4. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I disagree. I had an MIM V Deluxe and it was better than the 3-4 MIA Deluxes I've played. The B string was much tighter and better sounding on my MIM.
    The construction was just as good. The fretwork was good except for one slightly high fret. The hardware was of good quality, not cheap like the standard MIM jazzes. The MIM does have a poplar body, but believe it was a two piece body, not a front/back veneer. Mine had a pao ferro board.
    I really don't think one piece vs multipiece body or skunk stripe matter tone wise.

With Fenders, there is alot of variability from bass to bass, so play all the MIM and MIA Vs you can find and pick the one that sounds best to you.

5. I have a MIM V (passive, not deluxe), and while it is a good all around bass, I cant wait for my MIA Deluxe V FMT. I disagree what was said about the low B - mine is not extremely tight or great sounding. However, the bass always stays in tune, and I beat on the thing (while playing, not in fits of rage :)

I bought the MIM because I was low on cash, and I plan on keeping it for a backup - plus, its still a great bass, just not my dream machine. Fenders do vary from individual bass to bass, so go play a bunch and buy the one that feels good.

Greg

6. Buy a Fender RB5 and skip the debate altogether. This is a biased opinion from a happy RB5 owner because the quality is fabulous with the RB5. I think the neck is far nicer than the typical MIA or MIM 5-string neck. Yes, it is a full "C" width, but I have small hands and still dig that neck.

You get MUCH better tuners, perfect balance (no neck diving), a massive Gotoh bridge, and that Series/Parallel/Single Coil switching on each pickup. Both pickups in Single Coil mode will nail the vintage J tone perfectly.

The only down side to an RB5 is the pickup output is weak by design. I'm curing this with mine by the addition of a J-Retro active preamp. I have to build a new pick guard as part of the process.

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Im gunna agree with JT on this one. I love my MIM V. I plan on dropping in a J-Retro Deluxe soon! About the fretboards, I believe that all MIM Vs have a Pau Ferro fretboard. I could be wrong however. How does the skunk stripe effect the tone? I dont see how it could.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nope. MIA all the way. Might's well get the FMT while you're at it.

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have to say yes to both. bang for buck you cant go wrong with one of our spaniard freinds... but some of the american series basses kick a little butt... but i still say mexican. BUT PLAY YOU MEXICAN BEFORE YOU BUY. quality control at fender is natoriously bad. mine plays and sounds better stock than most americans but i have played some utter dung from their factory. now that is a fretless 4. i owned the mim5 prior to my stingray5...well we know the outcome to that one.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Mexicans are not Spaniards. Spaniards are from Spain ... you know, like Jerzy Drozd. I think you mean Spanish-speaking.

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    just trying to be humorous. obviously i failed. lol

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Fender uses Pau Ferro instead of rosewood for all fives, even MIM.

The MIM uses the older single pole style pickups instead of the Noiseless pickups of current MIA.

You left out that MIA has a 22 fret neck.

13. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Skip the Fender thing all together and get a Rogue 5 string!!!!;)
    You may want to check out a 5 string G&L. None of the poor quality issues with the Fender stuff. I know it's like a war crime to some people to say that the Fender stuff isn't the gratest thing since sliced bread, but you may want to consider a Lull 5 string. Also check out an F Bass 5....everything that a 5 string Fender aspired to be but fell short of. They're amazing....go check out bassgear.com, and search out a used 5. They're not at all out of reach financially, and worth every penny.