Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mexico Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paolo, Feb 6, 2003.

1. I'd buy my first fretless bass. I have searched in a lot of music shop, but where I live there are no more choice (I live in North Italy).
    I've look a Fender Mexico Fretless. What do you think about this bass ?

Thanks

Paolo

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Mexican Fenders are very nice instruments.

If you like the way that bass plays and sounds, you'll be happy with it.

Being a Jazz bass, there are all sorts of aftermarket parts available that drop in without modification to your instrument...bridge, pickups and preamps to name a few.

Make sure that the bass has a proper setup for best results...slight relief is important for mwah. And roundwound strings certainly help too (I don't know if they bass comes stock with flats). Elixir brand strings are coated to ease fingerboard wear.

Good luck!!!

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Fender Mexico fretless is a nice bass. The only thing that I don't like about it is that the side markers are between the note locations (fretlines), where on most fretless basses the side markers should be at the note locations. It would make it difficult to play a bass with the standard setup. Good quality parts and build quality though.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Phil- I was under the impression that the side markers are "on" the note location IF it's an unlined fretless. On a lined, they are in the "normal" location. I could be wrong, though.

As for the bass, I have one, it's great. First thing you need to do is take off the stock flatwounds (Fender Flats yuck) and put on some nice nickel roundwounds. Great playing bass.

5. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
  6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  7. I have just bought the MIJ Fretless Jazz (Unlined) from the bass palace...(Big up to Bob and burnie..Nice job guys)

N e way....I love the bass!!!

It is wkd...I have needed a fretless for a while but it had to unlined so most fenders were out the window (except the expencive 70's ones) This this baby came along....

Go for it mate...I have never played a MiM fender but i am sure they cant be that bad...

Here is a pic (mine is exactly the same but it is not that one)

http://www.basspalace.com/dynamic/displaybass/4StringBass/2802

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you're right, that's another reason for me to dislike lined fretlesses.:p

9. A little question :
    but if I change the flatwounds string and I use the roundwounds string on the fretless, there are no problems for the table of the neck ?

10. There are better basses available for the money, at least in the US. A Cort/Tanglewood Curbow or MTD Kingston fretless might be up your alley. You'd lose some tonal versatility on a one-pickup bass, but I've found that fretless tone is even more dependent on the player's touch than fretted tone.

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I bought a Mexican Fretless Jazz about 10 months ago! I wanted to branch out into fretless, and this seemed the ideal instruument - ie I wouldn't lose a lot on resale!

It's very nice, good amounts of mwah! It came with flatwounds, and the fretboard it lined. This might be where one of my problem lies with it, I play it more like a fretted intrument, becuase I treat the lines as frets! I'm not sure thet I'm going to master fretless technique, but for now I'll stick with it, 'cos it is nice!

The build quality is very good, mine is the Sunburst. I might still add aftermarket pickups - I'm used to the output from my Spectors, so I'd like to get something that doesn't result in a huge drop in volume when you change bass!

The only other thing I found weird was the neck is so skinny - probably 'cos I'm used to 5 string Spector necks. But it is nice, as I have smallish hands!

Like you I didn't have a lot of choice for fretless - but I think this is worth the money! :)

12. I played a Jim Reed Jazz fretted... I would buy a MIM over it any day.. The Jim Reed WAS 1/2 the price off a MIM, though...

It was ok, the neck finish was aweful sticky (NOT MY HANDS!!!!:eek: ), strings didnt feel very good at all either, and the body finish felt rough.

I never got to plug 'er in though... errr.. :eek:

13. I have one and love it. Well, everything made out of wood on it is great. Great playability and unplugged sound. The hardware and electronics straight up suck, but indeed are easily replaced.

14. I've had mine almost 3 years. It's a very well made bass and it has a 60s type vintage sound, but, mine has the worst case of single coil hum in history. This is the only reason I don't play it more than I do. I know I should try new pups, but, I am getting G.A.S. I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these real soon. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...23188164099629/search/g=home?q=ibanez+eda905f

Overall the MIM Fenders are one of the best deals out there.

Mke

15. I have a 2001 MIM J fretless and it is a very nice bass. Yes, it has the single coil hum, but I have a set of Dimarzio Model J pickups that will eliminate the hum.

Mine was a modest investment to try the fretless world. I find the line board very easy to play, but I have to watch the lines, not the side dots.

Mwah is excellent with DA EXL-220 strings, but they do leave marks in the rosewood finger board.