Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIA 75RI vs Custom Shop 64 NOS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Weenie Boy, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Weenie Boy

Weenie Boy

Sep 22, 2004
    USA
    If you could only have one jazz bass, which one of these two would you choose? why?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MIA 75RI, i just like the way it looks and sounds. Its a good bass overall.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I do only have one of those and it's a CS NOS 64. I wasn't wild about Jazz basses in the 70s and so doubt the reissues would float my boat much today.

Big difference in price between those two basses.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own a 75RI CAR FSR bass and iv'e played the CS NOS 64 bass, my choice would be the 64! It's hard to descibe the difference in sound but every aspect of these two basses are different. The necks, pups (64's are awesome) tuners are reverse, The 64 has a nitrocellulose (sp) finish (ages and checks nicely) vs the polyurethane finish on the 75RI bass, the 64 has an alder body and the 75RI has an ash body. I almost pulled the trigger on the CS NOS jazz but they only had it in black for $2000.00 bucks so I ordered the FMT V instead.

5. hey bovine where didja get that quote. it looks alot like something 'n-t-b' would say :smug:

6. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I just sold my MIA '62 RI and a '62 Custom Shop RI because my LPB '75 RI plays/feels better. The CS sounded a smidge better than the '75 RI, both smoked the MIA '62 RI tonally. I really liked the '62s feel-wise until I got the '75 - the back contour is nice and rounded where the '62s have a thinner, flatter back contour.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Gotta have the CS '64. Just suits me better.