Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIA Deluxe 5 Vs. Pedulla Rapture J2-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jun 2, 2005.

Wich one would you choose?

Poll closed Jun 9, 2005.
  1. Fender MIA Deluxe Five

25 vote(s)
    32.5%
  2. Pedulla Rapture J2-5

52 vote(s)
    67.5%
  1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

Which of these basses would be best for rock (everywhere from oldies to real heavy stuff), jazz and funk(mostly slapping)?

I will be stringing the bass with a high C string and will be soloing, do I need something that can play really fast. The sound needs to be versatile, but it must be able to get that nice boomy sound, yet maintain clarity.

Thanks!

~JB~

P.S. While reading my other thread, wich I deleted, two questions came to head:
    1. If I crank the bass on a jazz basses EQ, will it get that boomy sound?
    2.If not, does Pedulla make a five string Rapture with a P style Pickup?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Pedulla is the clear winner, although the MIA Deluxe is a very fine bass.

The Pedulla is also available in a PJ 5 model.

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    i have owned both in the past. the fender is a very nice bass but I have to agree with embellisher. with its overall craftsmanship, playability and tone, I feel the Pedulla is the best choice.

4. 1.) Pan the Neck Pickup, Cut Treble and some Mid. Boost bass as needed
    2.) Yes.

Both would be very versatile instruments. my pick is the fender

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I would kill many men to get my hands on a Pedulla.

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    +1

But only because I think the J shape of the Fender looks better...if not for looks.....the Pedulla for sure. Am I being shallow?? ;)

-Bazz-

7. One of the local bass players in my town has a Rapture J2 with Bartolinis that I got to spend a whole day playing, and thought it to be nice, but nothing spectacular and thought the tone to be kind of bland. Thats just IMO I dont want to start a flame war.

But I'm a Fender guy so I'd go for the American Deluxe Jazz.

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Rock-Fender, Jazz and Funk-Pedulla. I found the J2 to be a less than ideal rock bass, and have long since sold it.

9. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hands down-the Pedulla. I have one and will never part with it. Apart from the sweet tone, it is much lighter than the Fender and is available with wide string spacing. This bass just "feels" right in my hands.

10. Yeah definately not for rock.

I will say those Cherryburst/Maple Raptures with the tor p/g are scorchin lookin though!

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    would the j2-5 with a p style pickup work well for rock?

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    *BUMP*

13. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Pedulla. Hands down IMHO. I have owned a MIA Dlx. Jazz V and, while it was an awesome bass, it just doesn't stand up to what the Pedulla has to offer. THe pedulla has a slimmer neck, allowing your fingers to soar. Oh, and it'll boom. They do make a P/J Rapture too. I don't know if anyone else has already said that or not. It's 1:11 in the morning and I'm too lazy to read all of the posts. Ultimately it's your decision, but I'd definitely go for the Pedulla.

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    How much can i expect to pay for a decently used j2-5 or pj2-5 ???

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    About $900. I don't see very many of the PJs around. For rock I'd go with a thunderbolt instead, and they are not much more expensive.