1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender MIA/Deluxe neck swap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morebass!, Apr 19, 2006.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Anyone know if the necks are interchangable between the Fender MIA and Deluxe basses (both jazz basses)? I'm thinking of swapping necks between the two. Thanks!

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I don't think they're easily interchangeable, because the American Deluxe has 22 frets, and the American Series has only 20. The Deluxe must be a longer neck considering the same 34" scale length, unless it's a fretboard overhang to get the extra frets, which I doubt. So, if you try it on the American Series you'll end up with a longer scale length and, I suspect, serious intonation issues with the standard bridge. Plus the newer American Deluxe has a five bolt neck joint, which definitely won't match an American Series. I don't know about the older Deluxes.

3. There's no fretboard overhang, the necks are different. Your intonation will never be right.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Not only that but the MIA dlx body is smaller (shorter) and the neck is longer than the MIA standard body and neck thus the 34 inch scale will change.

5. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No, having a shorter body and longer neck and more frets doesn't change the scale length. The only thing that changed the scale length is having the bridge and the nut farther apart.

Both the MIA and the Deluxe are 34" scale. But the necks are not interchangable, of one has more frets than the other.

Mike

6. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    I have looked but haven't found anyone that is making replacement necks for the American Jazz Deluxe. Anyone know of any one that is offering replacement necks for the Am Jazz Dlx?

David

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Warmoth makes one for the American Deluxe 5 string and the regular (20-fret) 4-string, but not for the Deluxe 4 and the regular 5...

Mike

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    With the Dlx bass and the standard bass having their proper necks to body they both will be 34'5, but when you put the longer neck on the longer body thats when the scale changes! He want's to put the dlx neck on a standard body.

9. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Thanks all. Sounds like the neck swap wouldn't work.

Interesting that Warmoth doesn't make replacement necks for the Deluxe four. So if you had a problem neck with a Deluxe you'd have to go to Fender which I'm guessing would be expensive. Perhaps the quality of the Deluxe necks is good enough that this doesn't happen too often therefore there isn't a big enough market for Warmoth to bother with. But then they do bother with the Deluxe 5. :confused:

10. Im guessing its because a lot of jazz bass nuts buy P5 Deluxes and want to swap the neck to a smaller one?

11. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    Somewhere on Warmoth's site there is a comment that they haven't seen any/many American Dlx necks that need replaced and therefore they aren't selling replacements at this time.

I wish Warmoth would make a replacement left hand American Dlx fretless neck since Fender doesn't seem inclined to offer a fretless lefty.

David