1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender MIA Deluxe Precision Bass etc.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gil Irwin, Jan 6, 2008.

1. I've taken the opportunity to comapare (4) of my basses all strung with TI Jazz flats on the same full stack amp.

http://www.ocie.com/behringer_ultrabass_power_pack_3-16463-prd1.htm

Basses compared include:

1. Fender MIA 50th Anniversary Deluxe P Bass
    2. Lakeland Duck Dunn w/ DarkStar pup
    3. Custom Geddy Lee W/ Audere pre-amp
    4. CIJ Aerodyne Jazz

Fender Deluxe P:

My favorite, so far. Loud, thick, almost syrupy P bass thump with tonal varieties that no other bass in my collection can come close to. Although the neck is beefy, it feels so good and solid that it's the first instrument I gravitate towards to for almost any occasion.

Lakland Duck Dunn:

Superb build quality, fit and finish. Not nearly as loud as my MIA P bass but the passive pup must have something to do with that. Deep lows, very clear mids and highs and so pleasing aesthetically that it was worth the wait. The J neck w/ P body is a perfect match for those that want an old school P bass thump with a fast neck. Highly recommended.

Geddy Lee Jazz Bass:

I found the stock pup's to be satisfactory but a bit thin and lacking in volume. I installed an Audere pre-amp and it became an entirely different instrument. Loud, punchy but if played hard it still sounds somewhat clanky to my ear and nowhere near the pleasure or tone I derive from playing the Deluxe P.

Fender Aerodyne Jazz:

This is my practice bass, completely stock except for the TI Jazz Flats. I wanted a lighter bass with a fast neck and the combination of the P & J pup's with a greater tonal variety than the GL jazz. It's probably my least favorite, only because it's not nearly as hot-rodded as the others due to the stock passive configuration but it still sounds decent enough to recommend based on the build quality.

So it appears that that the Fender MIA Deluxe P is the weapon of choice for me at this time, although those that have played other instruments (particularly high-end) might not agree.

Flame suit on,

Gil

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    My middle finger is extended to all naysayers. I traded a Lakland 55-02 Deluxe for an ADPV a month ago and am knocked out by what a great bass it is. I miss the Lakland but it was definitely an even trade. Hate on Fender all you want (I certainly do), but the deluxe is a diamond in the rough.

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    That will be a bass of mine in the future. Right now, I'll just keep modding my MIM.

4. I don't see why you think people will flame you over this opinion. The ADP is a very nice bass, and if you like it best then play it.

5. I'm just bummed they stopped making the 5 string?

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    It was a shocker to me, really.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021