Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender MIA Deluxe V : the last battle...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Jan 11, 2005.

MIA Deluxe V : P or J ?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2005.
  1. Precision

31 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Jazz

60 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi folks,

I just asked for a credit, and will receive the funds within a few days.

My choice has been made : a Fender American Deluxe V Deluxe.

The only dilemma is : do I take the Precision or the Jazz ? They both have the same necks, the difference is in the electronics and the body shape.

I tried the Precision MIA Deluxe V a few months ago and was impressed by the tone capabilities as well as by the neck, which is perfect for me. I didn't try the Jazz Deluxe V, but heard it on stage and... yes, it sounded great too.

Which one would you pick up ?
    (please explain the reasons of your choice)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
    JL

2. Quencher

Quencher

Jan 11, 2005
    Hey JL
    Contrary to popular belief the jazz and P bass necks ARE different. Just like the original Jazz and P bass necks. I'd go with the jazz bass neck and body, if you like to play quickly between notes, but I love the Deluxe cuz fender FINALLY gave us a j/p combo of pickups ( with TWO j-bass pu and TWO P-bas pu's ) that werent an MB4 or a squire. Jazz bass has always been and will always be a better style bass.....Put a strap on it and just feel how it fits into your body...and dont forget that baddass J-bass sound. I havent seen the Deluxe model P-bass style yet, but I can tell you now that I wouldnt like it...its outdated and also " Jazz" is just another word for " easier to play"
    Just an opinion, Rock On man

3. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Quencher, but are you sure we're talking about the same models ?

My dilemma is between both of these :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again,

JL

4. Quencher

Quencher

Jan 11, 2005
    Ah! I was under the impression you had a Deluxe jazz w/ P-bass AND J-bass pu's.....fender tried this with the Blink 182 dudes sig series with a j-bas body and neck and P-pass Basslines PU's...too bad they didnt make a J-bass like that...I'd have run out and bought it!
    Sorry for the confusion...if you like the P-bass style, go for it, that J-bass sound is insane, but I gotta feeling theres a reason they always kept their j-bass pu's seperate??? who knows....either way, tis a groovy conversation piece
    Peace Q

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As you noted, playability is similar if not identical. I happen to prefer the look and sound of P-basses. With the bridge pickup, the Precision V can get growl similar to a Jazz bass. Some slappers don't care for P-basses even if they have a bridge pup because the 'pop' on the D and G strings sounds different than on a J-J bass. I personally don't notice much of a difference, but then I rarely use bridge pickups on basses regardless of make or model.

I think both are very nice. Good luck with the decision! Got a color picked out yet?

6. Jean, I haven't played the 5 string model, but I have played the 4 string American Deluxe P bass twice. Once last October, and also just this past weekend.
    I am in love with this bass! www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0194060

This time I had the time to fool around with the EQ, and I was impressed! It can get regular P-bass tones, but it can also get extra-mellow P-bass tones almost approaching Pre-CBS-type smoothness. The bridge pickup also sounds a bit different than a regular Jazz bass bridge pickup, but when blended with the neck pup it sounds so good. :cool:

I've been looking to get some kind of Precision for a couple of months now, but I think this is the one I will buy.

My vote is for the Precision.

How does the B string sound on the 5 string model?

Good luck.

Mike

7. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Ken.
    I think I'm going to choose the 3-tone sunburst (as shown on the P photo in this thread).

Cheers,
    JL

8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Michael,

The B-string sounds tight down to... the C.
    The open B-string felt a bit flabby to me.
    But from what I've heard when trying it, the tone even on the B-string is more massive than on, say, an SR5 (I had one before).

Cheers,
    JL

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm obsessed with precisions...... :p

10. Hey Guys, Newbie on the loose!

I have a '96 Anniversary DLX Jazz V and love it to bits. Highly recommend the Jazz (although I too am currently looking at the Deluxe V Precision as backup / alt)

KTL

11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hey KTL, welcome on the boards !

Thanks to all for your input. Any other comments are still welcome.

Cheers,
    JL

12. My vote is for the Precision. I play a MIA 82 elite and it is a great bass. I would like a 5 string...

I tried to play the jazz bass many time and it felt like a little toy, lacking balls and expression... in my hands ! Other bass player can sound really good with a jazz, but not me.

I have owned a Yamaha bb300, then an aria P, then a MIA fender p 1969, a yamaha attitude limited (Billy Sheehan's mutant P), and now a fender P elite 82... My understanding is that the P or J dilemna is a false one, because you know inside of you which one you prefer. It you loved the P, go fot it.

...Surtout que les Fender doivent coûter une fortune en Europe !

13. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Crocau,

Thanks for your input, but the basses you're talking about don't have much in common with those that make have a dilemma. We're talking about American Deluxe 5ers here. The 82 Elite and others you mentioned are close to "traditional" P's and are passive. The Deluxe (J and P) are very different animals.

Yeah, Fenders are pretty expensive here.

Cheers,
    JL

14. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I voted for the P-bass DLX.

15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    American Deluxe JAZZ!!!!!!!!

I have been gassing for an American Deluxe Jazz V FMT. Plays like butta.

16. I haven't played the Precision 5-string, so I couldn't say. I do own an MIM Fender Deluxe V (with Bart pickups and BTB-01 preamp) that I really enjoy. However, the Precision seems like it would be more versatile...

17. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Voted the J...can't play the P...neck is as wide as my thigh.

18. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks, but once again we're talking about the MIA Deluxe V, and both P and J have the same neck dimensions in this series.

Cheers,
    JL

19. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Quelle cornichon-moi!

20. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Looking at the poll results at this precise hour, and I see :

27 votes for the P
    57 votes for the J

so approx. 1/3 for the P and 2/3 for the J

This added to the fact that most professionals are more currently seen with Dlx J rather than Dlx P, makes me lean towards the J (they can't be wrong all the time, uh ?)

Please keep on giving your opinions.

Many thanks to all !

Cheers,
    JL