Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phaneo, May 26, 2004.

1. phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    I'm thinking of getting a MIA Jazz Deluxe. I''ve been playing an old Ibanez SGR 500 since '95 in metal bands and have always been happy with it. Now days I'm playing more mellow music with acoustic guitars and so on. I'm looking for something with a nice clean warm tone, that lets the mids come through, and doesn't have those twingy highs like my Ibanez. I really like the tone of Brad Smith from "Blind Melon" and I know he's always played fender jazz basses, so that's what I'm looking into. Any input as far as what to look for in these basses, or other suggestions. Will this bass be as playable as my Ibanez? I have small hands, so I don't want anything with a huge neck on it. Also any ideas where to pick one up used? Thanks
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jazzes have one of the smallest necks ive played, so it shouldnt be a problem.
  3. Can't go wrong with the jazz...I'd take a passive one though.
  4. danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have a 5 string fender amer dlx active and the neck is still small enough for my teeny hands. also I would have to vote for the active preamp. With a little fenagaling I can go from modern to vintagey. I also prefer the flatwound strings on a jazz bass.

just some thoughts....

5. I love the American Deluxe. Go for it.
  6. Jazz Basses are my musical life line and I have medium size hands, long fingers (thank the powers that be).

Check here Used Fenders For Sale

Try Ebay also.

7. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    i agree with treena, and think every bassist should own a fender jazz... i woul buy the american standard because i got one and in my opnion is very versatile and tone-worth, one of the best necks and is so lightely different from the deluxe that maybe the money you would spend on that are better spent on the standard