1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender MIA Jazz pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zonplayer, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Anyone removed it before? Is there any routing under there besides the pickups?
    Wanna buy one cause I love how they sound and play, but hate pickguards.

[Edited by Zonplayer on 01-26-2001 at 10:47 AM]

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Mine's a '99 and there's routing on mine. I thought I could lose the pickguard too (oh well!). The new American series was supposed to do away with this but several people say there's additional routing on these too. I don't really know why they do this.

3. This is sort of interesting. I own 2 MIJ 62 reissues and neither one has routing under the pickguard. One is an '89 and the other is a '96. Perhaps this is indicative of the "reissue" type of bass since the original '62's didn't have routing.

Now let anyone say that the MIJ's are inferior to the MIA's!:mad:

4. My newish MIM Jazz has routing under the scratchplate :( but I replaced the white oem with a pearl one before I bought it:) There is a routed channel from the control cavity to the neck p/u and a shallow circular rout that seems to have no purpose whatsoever - until I asked the tech who set it up, who said that it was for locating the bodies on jigs for cutting.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have the MIA '75 Jazz reissue, and there is no extra routing under the pickguard. I think Hambone is right that the reissues are accurate in that regard. From what I understand, ALL of the newer Jazz basses since 1996, or so, have the ugly routing. So, if you want a Jazz without routing, seek out a reissue (MIJ, or MIA).