Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIA V Owners: Are you happy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ionic Eye, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Ionic Eye

Ionic Eye

May 13, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    In researching 34" scale 5-strings, I realized Fenders are back on the table. My first Bass was a (late 70's, I believe) Fender MusicMan (short-scale, "beginner" bass.) I realize now, looking back, how much I enjoyed it (after "rediscovering" bass) in the early 90's, even, before replacing it with a Carvin LB75 (the Fender was left at a friend's apt., never to be seen again.)

So, I've recently been re-infected by that Fender vibe: that back-to-the-roots, feel-good sorta thing. However, I've heard some less than enthusiastic reviews and opinions about Fender's Low-B strings, so, how do any of you users (not drug, of course) like your American Jazz/Precision/Deluxe/Roscoe Beck (Reggie Hamilton too expensive for me) 5-strings? How do you like their Low-B's? How about playing live with them? Are you happy with these basses over-all?

Thanks for any input and opinions... Matt

2. i've got a '97 MIA Jazz V, and i love it. bought new off the rack at GC in '97. as far as the low B is concerned, it is a tad bit floppy, but not enough to mud out the lower register. i played it live as my main bass until May of this year. it's built like a tank, and i don't think i'll ever sell it. it's the only bass i'll record with, and it's a great "reference" bass for me as far as trying out new effects and other basses.. never had a problem except for ever-so-slight truss-rod adjustment every few months. i haven't tried any newer ones (after 2000) so i can't really judge the new stuff.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Here's mine:

[​IMG]

1997 American Standard Jazz V Sonic Blue.

It has the stock pickguard now instead of that pearloid one.

I love it. It plays nice, the B-String is exactly as gustomatic describes. It sounds INCREDIBLE for recording. Just plug it in to the board and you're ready for action. Best sounding bass I've ever heard. A friend of mine once came up after a gig I did and said that the bass sound was amazing and he wished he could get as good a sound on his bass.... A Smith! (and he's a better player than me. He eventually got his sound with a vintage Gibson Les Paul Bass which sounds just fantastic)

Everything about the bass is solid and high quality - I wouldn't change a thing (hence returning the stock white pickguard instead of the tortise one). The pickups sound unbeilivable. It's truly a modern classic.

The neck is a bit chunky and not the most comfortable I've ever had my hand around, but it feels solid and is easy to get used to. The neck does dive a little. The string spacing is perfect.

4. like gustomatic, i also have a '97 MIA jazz deluxe V. i love the bass. i found it used at a GC for $750. incredible tone (maybe partially due to my ampeg :p), very sturdy, incredibly reliable, just easy to play- i mean it really does feel just solid. the b-string is not perfect. it is a little bit wobbly, it does buzz more than i'd like it to. but the buzz can only be heard by me, it never comes through my amp. the b sounds great through my amp. so it's moreso maybe just me being picky. but i'm sure because of it being a little flimsy, it's not the best b string out there.

i would still highly recommend the bass to anyone, even you :)! by the way, mine is transparent blueburst with a pearl tortoise shell pickguard- absolutely gorgeous! even if this doesnt stay as my main axe in future years (thinkin about a lakland or G&L upgrade), i will never ever get sick of looking at it.

Joel

5. My 96 MIA Jazz V is great; AND like gusto said, the B could have a little more snap. I just got one of Roger Sadowsky's preamp/DI boxes, and MAN it really brings the whole thing even more life.

However, I am thinking of selling it (and the preamp)since I added an F Bass Studio 5 to my arsenal. Overall, I've been very satisfied. PM me if you are interested in buying, I can email pics and relevant info.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Had a MIA JD5. I loved the tone, feel and look of the bass.

I will go a little farther concerning the B. No "tad" here, it was aweful. Not only did it feel floppy, but the dynamic level was so far off the other strings that it was all but unusable.

I had to boost the EQ and compression levels ridiculous amount to get anything close to something usable as far as a B. It was all overtone and nasty.

So, I played it like a four forever because it otherwise sounded awesome. I finally decided I wanted a real five, so I unloaded it and my L2500, which had a much tighter and louder but still muddy B string, and bought the Quantum.

Chas

7. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I too am happy with my '98 American Jazz Deluxe V. Sure, it is a little neck heavy and the B-string is not the tightest. Yet, for the money it sounds excellent. I even like the pre-amp and the ''new design" pickups in this bass. Better sounding, in my opinion, than the newer 9V preamps and noiseless pickups.

By the way, I have found that the DR handmade strings are a good match for this bass. The B string on High Beams and Low Riders sound pretty darn good on this bass.

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have a Roscoe Beck and it's a no-trade bass for me. I think it's one of the best mid-price fivers;THE best passive mid-price fiver; and possibly one of the best passive fivers at ANY price.

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The fact that I sold my MIA Jazz Dlx V after about four months should tell you how much I liked it ;)

It never even made it to one gig.

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I bought Fender MIA Jazz bass last week, and I love it!

The playability is very good, solid construction, good overall bass!

Here´s a pic
    [​IMG]

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've been using an American Deluxe Jazz V as my main gigging bass for the last two years. I had B-string troubles until I found the right strings. I found that DR Lo-Riders (stainless) had a nice tight .130 B-string, and I'm now using Pedullas with an even tighter .128 B-string (tapered).

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I forgot to answer your question regarding the B string. The only thing I have to compare my MIA V with is my Wasburn five string.

My Wasburn´s B string is very muddy and with no definiton when compared to my Fender.

So thumbs up from me!

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have three, two 97 MIA JD5's and an FMT V. Excellent basses and my B's are fine.

14. hey brad, you diggin the FMT? i've seen it at the local GC but both basses they had on display were missing knobs.. no kidding.. i was reluctant to try them. is the body size the same as the MIA J5 or the MIA JD5? is it neck heavy at all? .. just curious..

15. Ionic Eye

Ionic Eye

May 13, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Wow, cool to hear so many responses, and mostly positive ones, too! Now I'll go start the "trying out" process.
    I got real excited about "rediscovering Fender"; it just feels good, somehow. My 5-string experience has been with a Carvin LB-75 for several years (34", and I liked the Low-B just fine) and currently a lowest-model Dean Edge 5-string (35" scale, and I think the Low-B is HORRIBLE; I assume it's the pups, as I've tried different strings; the B, C, and C# all sound the same, just horrible definition; of course, it IS a cheap bass.)
    At any rate, I figure that going from my Dean to a MIA Fender (probably a Jazz or a Roscoe Beck), I'll be impressed; after all, I liked the Carvin's Low B...

I was just wondering WHY Fender's would have a less-than-nice Low-B... it seems like they SHOULD be good, seeing as how they have big, thick necks with graphite-reinforcement, the string-through-the-body option, and a sound that is well-known as being an ideal, heavy, foundation rock thing (nice sentence!), as in, it seems the pups should be good for a Low-B, I'd think.

Anyway, thanks for the responses; I feel better already about Fender... BTW, where's Munji? Doesn't he have a Roscoe Beck? :) Peace... Matt

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've read that from others as well, but my Dean Edge 5 has a nice solid B string with great definition. I use it for hand-positioning all the time. Mine is a fretless (maybe that helps?) with Fender Super Bass strings which have a 130 "B". I am a staunch advocate of the 130 size for "B" strings on extended range instruments. I've tried many sizes and always come back to 130 or bigger.

The "B" string on my Fender Jazz V is as described above, a little bit floppy, but not too bad. It sounds fantastic though, across all the strings. Actually my Dean has a very similar feeling B to my Fender.

I highly recommend Fender "Super Bass" nickels, I've never used another string that I liked better on any bass.