Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIJ 62 reissue or MIM deluxe active

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassistGod, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Fender MIJ 62 reissue

9 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. MIM deluxe active

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. MIA carrots

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. I'm currently looking at buying one or the other.
    I may go used or new on either one, doesn't really matter to me.

Anyway, I don't have a preference for active or passive. I'm just split between the two. I'd be interested in knowing which one you would choose between the two, money not being an issue.

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    '62 re-issue hands down. Better construction. I personally like the feel of the "vintage" necks better and as far as fenders go I also prefer their passive jazzes to their active ones.:bassist:

3. Fishface

Fishface

Jul 26, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    If you are BassistGod, aren't you all knowing?

:D

My choice would be the MIJ over the MIM. Better construction overall. You can always add a preamp later if you wanted one.

I have a MIJ fretless that I bought used over a new MIM fretless. I felt & sounded better to me.

4. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I have 2 MIJ's (1994 Fotoflame and Geddy lee) and love them both. I have yet to play anything Fender makes from Mexico that feels good or sounds good. Go with the Japan bass.

5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    As a former owner of a MIM, and current owner/seller of a MIJ, construction of the MIJ is ridiculously superior. Especially reissues.

But then again, I may be bias ;)

Plus, those stock Fender preamps are horrible in the Deluxes. Plan to spend another $70+ on a better one.

6. [​IMG]

my pops' mij 62 reissue. he loves it, although he says my p is the best.

7. both of em

[​IMG]

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The MIM Deluxe I had I took back to the store the next day... Go with the reissue you could always modify it later if you want it active, J retro pre and some Seymour Duncan pups.

9. Does the MIJ really need new pickups? Don't they come with America pu's as it is?

10. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The imported MIJ's (pre MIM) have inferior electronics (i.e. cheap mini pots and cheap pickups) and typically have basswood bodies. Japan-made instruments made for sale in Japan have USA pickups and alder bodies. They sell locally at a higher price point like to MIA's here. Fenders made and sold in Japan are equivalent to MIA made and sold here (some say better).

Of course, exceptions apply. I'm speaking in general terms. Each instrument should be evaluated individually.

11. Low Blow

Low Blow

Dec 19, 2003
    Amen to everything I've read on this thread. The deluxe fender preamps are awful. I thought my amp was broken the first time I plugged one in.

The one mexican fender that i had was no where close to being as well built as the japan fenders I've owned. The reissues and signature lines that come out of japen are top notch.

What's a MIA carrot?

12. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Both of my MIJ's have alder bodies. Most MIM's have poplar or basswood bodies. And yes you need to change the pickups. I feel you have to change the pickups on all Fenders including MIA's.

13. I owned an mim deluxe for a few weeks back in the day, and I remember liking the preamp. Nothing spectacular but it seemed dedcent for the price and all.
    I wish I didn't sell it, but I needed the money.

14. Low Blow

Low Blow

Dec 19, 2003
    So since you've owned the MIM deluxe and liked it, that's the safe choice for you. I understand your thought process.

I'm going to assume you've never owned a MIJ '62 RI. Because if you had, you wouldn't have posted this thread because you would know how much better the MIJ stuff is.

It's a personal choice, but I agree with the statement above about adding a preamp. You can always add a preamp to the '62 RI, but you can't add Japanese quality to the deluxe MIM.

Good luck in your purchase.

15. Hmmm. Fender Japan.....

okay I new they're better quality but I figured the actice preamp would have lured a few to vote for it.