Fender MIJ, is it worth it???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mariner, Feb 20, 2006.

1. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I've come across a used Fender MIJ Jazz bass. The owner is asking $250 US. The bass has been switched to a right-handed config while it's really a lefty. I would have to replace the neck unless I want to dig out the nut which was also replaced when they made it right-handed.

Is it worth it?
  2. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    if you like it...yes!
    those basses are worth about twice that.
  3. I hear they're really good.

What colour is it?
  4. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    The body is white and the pickguard has that tobacco sunburst. Aside from someone coverting to a right-handed config, I don't think anything else has been done to it.

I think he's been trying to sell it for awhile, so he may let me take it home and give it a good look.
  5. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    Damn it! It's hard enough to find good leftys, now righty is taking them and switching the few we have!:mad: :crying:

Mariner, I'm a lefty (if you haven't guessed) and would be interested in it if you don't get it.
    I'm sending you a PM.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've had a few MIJ Fenders go through my hands, and they've all been nice instruments. For 250, I say it's a good deal.

I'd also suggest just getting a new nut put in rather than a new neck...it'll be cheaper and less hassle.
  7. They're nicew, seems like a good price.

I know somebody who has one, and he says it plays better than his '85 Tobias! It can take a lower action, and the neck is thin and "fast."
  8. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Nothing wrong w/ the MIJ unless you just don't want the hassle of converting it.
    The New 24 frets are MIK, and they are quality basses. They are Fenders, hipshot tuners, quilted maple top, active, slimline. I think it's mattering less and less where they are made as long as the QC is there.
  9. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    250 is a steal. If it was clean I would scoop it up quickly for that price. Not sure what the cost of conversion will be though.......
  10. good price, if it's in decent shape. replacing the nut is
    do-able. :cool:
  11. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    Thanks for all the feedback...

Hambone, thanks for the link, great place.. $10 vs $250 for a finished neck, easy choice there.

I think I've just found my next project :D
  12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Sounds like a really good deal to me.
  13. Please ! - grab it, convert it back to lefty and then sell it on for three times the buying price.

My MIJ Jazz is the same as the one your describing:

Lefty, Olympic White, Tort p/g - lovely bass