Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender MIJ Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jnightmare, Oct 26, 2004.

1. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    how well are these made? how would they compare to a MIA and a MIM jazz bass? i found a nice one for about 470 bucks is that a deal on a MIJ fender?

2. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    by the way the model number is... JB62-75US

3. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Excellent bass with Fender USA pickups and an alder body with a rosewood neck.
    Snap it up.

4. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    check out this sweet CIJ jazz bass. alder body, maple neck and vintage USA pickups.
    [​IMG]

5. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    heres a picture of the one im looking to maybe get... [​IMG] i was just wondering though how does the over all contruction, hardware, etc. match up with the MIM and MIA.

6. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Generally, MIJ/CIJ Fenders are considered to be better quality than MIM, and almost as good as MIA (with the "almost" being the cause of some fun flame wars over the years).

My experiences with Japanese Fenders have been good - I've got a frankenFender Jazz with a MIJ 75RI neck with is very well made, and a Squier Vista Venus guitar, (again with a bound neck), and it's a great instrument. The best jazz I've played was a MIJ '62 RI which was set up perfectly. I loved it, but the shop sold it by the time I had the money.

I don't know what the prices are like in the US for MIM and MIA instruments, but it sounds like an OK deal to me - especially if it has the USA pickups.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MIJ Fenders are the only Fenders i enjoy playing/looking at. With the exception of maybe the knobs or something, the basses, IMO are as good as MIA's, but with better quality control.

8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I dig my MIJ Jazz..it's my daily player. I would never sell.
    Mine is an older model..1989 with a basswood body.
    I changed out the bridge for a Gotoh 201..and the stock pups for active electronics. oh, and some custom made stainless steel knobs and a set of TI Flats :)
    I have a USA Precision and a Alembic Series I, but this is my go to bass for all the fun, and it goes to tape very well too!

here she is..

[​IMG]

Figjam might even like these knobs! :bag:

[​IMG]

9. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    well you think its a deal paying about 500 bucks for a CIJ jazz bass with an alser body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, vintage USA pickups?

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    If I had the money handy I'd go for myself.

My main bass is a '88 Japanese Standard Jazz Fretless, modified similarly to that one above me. Mine is cream white with a black pearl 'guard, EMG's, Schaller roller bridge, and unlined rosewood fingerboard.

11. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    one question though i noticed on the MIJ jazz basses that theres some like line in the finish that runs a little slanted between the bridge and the bidge pickup. whats the deal with that i think ive seen many with that same line in the bass, anyone have a clue to what that is or why its like that?

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    nice knobs ;) That black finish looks sexier than usual, maybe its the combo with the p/g, looks stunning.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    OMG!!! That blue one is amazing! I've had 2 MUJ Jazz basses, and they were nothing short of great.

14. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    That's the ground. It replicates the way they used to do it back in the day. You'll see a similar thing on early 60s jazz basses and the 62RIs.

15. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    are the 75ri japan made fenders worth it or is it better to just get a regular america made jazz bass? im thinking of purchasing one and maybe just adding a new bridge.

16. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Buy it and if you dont like it resell it.
    They are very easy to sell, people know that they are very high quality and use good parts and easily upgradeable.

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Get it.... now! (And pick me up an evenin' paper!):D