1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender MIJ P-Bass fake?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nodsy82, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Nodsy82

Nodsy82

Mar 9, 2018
    Hi guys, wondering if anyone could help we out with this? I'm looking at buying a MIJ Precision but I'm not sure whether it's legit or not. It's apparently from 1988-89 but the serial number on it doesn't seem to be registered with Fender (H030493 if you can't make it out from the photo). Also the headstock looks a bit weird to me, but I don't know if that's what they looked like in the late 80s. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil

Feb 18, 2018
    Ohio
    I dunno about it's authenticity but the fretboard is hit!

Laurie Bass, Bolsyo and Nodsy82 like this.
  3. Nodsy82

Nodsy82

Mar 9, 2018
    Indeed! They do mention that in the advert. Not so bothered about that if it's genuine and a fair price.

4. I would email fender and ask. I checked both of my fender Japanese p basses on the fender site and even though they are exactly the same and both real fenders only 1 came up. I don’t think they document Japanese stuff very well. Someone may have more insight than I do though. I personally think it looks pretty legit. Upgraded pickups though and that neck would be a deal breaker unless it was dirt cheap.

5. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    Looks real..too bad the neck is garbage

Bolsyo likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I can't back it up with facts, but the whole bass looks "iffy" to me.

By the way, Welcome to TalkBass @Nodsy82 !!!!!

Nodsy82 likes this.
  7. Also. I’m pretty sure that a Japanese 1962 reissue.

8. I just found a bunch of the same bass online. I can’t talk value because I’m not a supporting member but I would look at what they are going for and wouldn’t pay no more than half and only if you really love it. Maybe you like to stay low on your neck and that damage won’t bother you?

9. Nodsy82

Nodsy82

Mar 9, 2018
    Thanks for all your help and advice, guys, I really appreciate it! It sold for more than I was willing to pay for in the end. Oh well, I'll keep looking...