1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender MIJ vs MIM used

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeterpanKs, Nov 1, 2015.

1. MIJ

24 vote(s)
    96.0%
  2. MIM

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs

Oct 12, 2014
    So recently I got a chance to choose between a 2003 MIM and a 1994 MIJ bass, I wouldn't hesitate if it's an 80's MIJ bass but is 1994 good? according to the year of production which one tends to have a higher quality interm of finishing and sound?

2. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    You should check both and let us know what you think.

Doctor J and twinjet like this.
  3. Rneckties31

Rneckties31 Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    From my experience; none of the early 2000's MIM's compare to any MIJ. The newer mim's or the earliest ones I would compare to a MIJ though.

And of course a lemon is a lemon and a poorly set up bass will play poorly. And some basses one will love and others will hate. But from what I have personally experienced I would have to say the mij is the best bet and I would trust it's quality more.

bassbully likes this.
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Could you be a bit more specific? What types/models are we talking about? I ask because Fender-Japan created many offshoot variants of the traditional designs and some worked out better than others.

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Pics might help because if one is classic burst with tort go with the other option.

6. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Everyone's experience can vary so much! I have a 2004 MIM P that is one of the best basses I've ever played. I've had a couple MIJ basses that were just OK. YMMV.

Rneckties31 likes this.
  7. If there were any bad years for MIJs, it's news to me. Generally, I wouldn't hesitate to choose MIJ over MIM, unless we're talking about a Classic '50s or a Roadworn.

bassbully likes this.
  8. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs

Oct 12, 2014
    Thanks a lot guys, you guys are so welcome and helpful! unfortunately the basses are gone, too late for me, maybe they're not my destiny haha. Thanks for many reply, those information are very helpful, thanks again! :D

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The MIJ in most cases is a much better bass but judge for yourself. It will have better resale for sure. To me the MIJ fenders are some of the very best Fenders ever made.

Klonk likes this.
  10. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs

Oct 12, 2014
    Plot twisted! I just got it, a red cherry MIJ jazz re62-80 bass, will post a pic of it when i got it :D thanks!!

11. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Nice! Big MIJ fan here, so looking forward to pics + verdict :)

12. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs

Oct 12, 2014
    20151104_141806. 20151104_141855. 20151104_141758. 20151104_142200. 20151104_141836. 20151104_141740.

13. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs

Oct 12, 2014
    Finally she's here! in a natural relic condition (since 1994) with a brand new sadowsky's string installed on.
    Will be back after trying it for the first time :D

14. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    That looks kinda sweet! Bet it sounds great with Sads on it too. Congrats!

15. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    That looks kinda sweet! Bet it sounds great with Sads on it too. Congrats!

16. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs

Oct 12, 2014
    Some question? what would look better on the bass between a vintage version or a brand new shiny pickup covers, according to its condition? thanks!

17. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    I would just buy the cheapest of the two, and if it's too shiny, just use some steel wool on it :)

18. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs

Oct 12, 2014
    Thanks btw the new one is cheaper, around 30 bucks :)

19. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    yeah but, you know?: machineheads and/or the bridge are the points where age and wear appear the most

usually, this ain't the case wiith control plate and pickup cover... so I really think you don't have to brush it too much to give it a coherent appeal:) ah... and don't forget thugbar... or you'll have two more holes in search for their screws:roflmao:

Cheers,
    Wallace

20. PeterpanKs

PeterpanKs

Oct 12, 2014
    Thanks for the reply, yeh haha I didn't noticed about that, just ordered mine a brand new one, also looking for a thumb-rest adding its a more vintage look :)