Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Miller Jazz with new pickguard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 29, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    would anyone think I'm crazy if I wanted to add a tortoise shell pickguard onto a sunburst? Would it be possible to have a pickguard made for the control cavity? I'm going crazy over getting a MM Jazz in Sunburst and for the longest time I thought I would just get an SX 5 String Jazz in sunburst and mod it, but its grown like crazy on me. I would prolly add a MM U-retro and Either Bartolinis or Basslines for a deeper rock bass tone. Any comments on this idea?

~Patrick

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    All I can add is that a lot of people have a tortoise shell pickguard on sunburst basses. Just search through the Precision and Jazz threads. If it makes you happy then go for it.

Dan

3. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    I think you're going to have to get a custom deal.

I'm not sure who you can go to. I guess you should hit the usual suspects: Warmoth, USA Custom Guitars, and www.edenhaus.com come to mind.

I've heard these guys are good too: http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/

Hope that helps.

4. contrabajisimo

contrabajisimo

Feb 9, 2004
    Chicago
    From SX to MM4! That's a BIG difference. :)

Once you get it... you won't need any mods. Maybe rewire the preamp into true bypass maybe. Good luck.

5. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    i just put a tortoise shell pick guard on my mm4 but it is natural still looks good even though the control cavity is still black

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

picture (please!) I wanted to know how that combination would look

7. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    i will see what i can do
    p.s it looks sweet huge difference

8. Some pickguard places allow you to send in the pickguard and get an exact copy done. You could probably do that.

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I know. I've ordered quite a few custom pickguards from WD Music Products. Larry Davis is a helluva guy.

I've got the ultimate, untimely idea of what I want to do with this bass. I know people will call me call me crazy, but here it goes:

If I added a Marcus Miller U-Retro preamp model to this thing, could I take all the hardware and controls off of the control cavity pickguard and send a tracing off to WD and have custom tortoise shell pickguard made to go over the control cavity. I'm thinking this thing needs to go all the way tortoise shell. Could I do this with the stock cavity control pickguard?

~Patrick

10. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    there are plenty of places that will make an exact copy of the marcus miller pickguard for you i know i researched it i wanted to do the same thing but when it came down do it i couldn't justify the price but keep me posted on what you decide to do i would love to thee the finished result

11. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    if you are going to send off the pickgaurd and cavity or at least a tracing of it to have a custom one made than why get the u-retro marcus miller pre just get the standard u-retro and wd told me they would do this but it wasn't cheap

12. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The stock control guard does not have enough holes for all the switches of a U-Retro and I think the U-retro guard has bigger holes for knobs.

~Patrick

13. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    youre totaly right

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    As always.