1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender MIM 50s RI P and RW 50s P neck profiles??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kunekune, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Kunekune

Kunekune

May 7, 2012
    Hey, sorry to make yet another thread on here about this. I have one simple question that no thread has answered on these necks.. Are these necks the exact same profile? I know that dimensions are the same on the fender site, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the 50s RI P MIM neck may be slimmer front to back than the RW P neck, even though it's the same measurement top to bottom.

If the 50 RI is indeed slimmer front to back, I won't be interested in that neck. I need an absolutely 100% answer on this, from someone who has both in front of them!

I love the full, fat RW neck.

ps I'm based in Aussie and can only source these necks online. Also, no music stores stock these basses where I live.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    They are the same. I've owned both basses. One of my favorite neck profiles out there!

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

They are the same dimensions. I have played both in the same shop. However, the RW feels better.

The Classic neck has a very heavy poly finish on it. The RW is nitro finished with rolled edges, and has a great worn-in feel and look.

4. Tmw2011

Tmw2011

Feb 23, 2011
    Edmond, OK
    +1000

When I tried the Classic '50s neck, I liked the profile, but the poly drove me nuts. When I got the Road Worn neck in my hands, it was like a whole different world in feel. I love my Road Worn's neck, and plan on getting another one for a project I have in mind.

5. Kunekune

Kunekune

May 7, 2012
    Great, thank you all for the fast and definite answers! I'm glad I posted the question.

I have only played a RW in a store in another city and out of about 5 or 6 different fender Ps, that one was big, "warm" feeling, and not grabby like a poly finish. Not ideal for those who like slim necks, though!

Can anyone give me feedback on this: Buying the cheaper 50s MIM RI neck and sanding back - or completely off - the poly finish to achieve a smoother, more natural feel.

I'm thinking I'd be better off just paying extra for a RW P neck, as I hear the woods selected are of a better standard and kiln dried, or what have you, to achieve that aged characteristic..

6. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I would recommend the RW necks as having better wood, but that is just my impression from owning 2 RW jazzes and playing 5 or 6 RW P-basses. IMHO, the neck of an electric bass is very important to its sound.

7. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with that for sure.

I should note, the RW neck is also finished in poly(the RW bodies have Nitro). It is however "worn in" and feels very comfortable and fast.

8. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI

Nope. Neck finish on all RW basses is Nitro.

See, Road Worn specs from http://www.fender.com/basses/precision-bass/road-worn-50s-precision-bass/

I quote below the (neck) excerpt:

Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Neck Shape: "C" Shape
    Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
    Fingerboard Radius: 7.25" (184.1 mm)
    Number of Frets: 20
    Fret Size: Vintage-Style
    Nut Material: Synthetic Bone
    Nut Width: 1.75" (44.45 mm)
    Position Inlays: Black Dot

9. AMJBASS

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hmmm, maybe they updated the website. Before the neck finish wasn't listed at all. I seem to remember the last RW Precision I had feeling like poly(it was fairly thick). Well there you go. Get the RW neck!

10. Kunekune

Kunekune

May 7, 2012
    Great, thanks for the help. Sounds like I'd be happy with either neck, but the RW is probably worth the extra $$ for the tone and feel... for sure. Plus I won't have to spend time sanding back a whole lot of poly, which may not work out that good anyway!

ps: If anyone can give me any tips on where to shop online for
    fender P necks and parts, other than ebay, that would be good.
    They would have to ship to Aussie, though.

I think stratosphere on ebay is my only option, but they are kinda pricey. But I guess it wouldn't be worth their while parting out new guitars if they weren't making a decent profit??!

pps: I already know about Warmoth, Allparts and a few others that do Fender "spec" and custom stuff. Rather, I'm just checking to see if I have any other options for purchasing this RW neck.

11. gadgetgirl

gadgetgirl Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    East Coast
    Recently bought a RW jazz neck from Stratosphere. Positive buying experience.

12. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    +1

Stratosphere is fine, IME.

Just be sure to get a neck WITH the tuners! Sourcing and swapping compatible tuners is often more hassle than it's worth, IMHO.

13. Kunekune

Kunekune

May 7, 2012
    Great, sounds good.

I plan on just filling and smoothing all the old holes and fitting
    on the gotoh fb3 set off my other neck.. Not ideal, I know, but
    they will work fine if fitted with care. I don't like reverse tuning
    keys and am not really phazed about not keeping it traditional.

It is definitely not ideal drilling new holes, though!