Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender mim arriving soon,replace pups,and bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ampegloud, Oct 26, 2002.

1. ampegloud

ampegloud Guest

Oct 14, 2002
    kansas city mo
    ams is sending me a mim fender p bass what kind of bridge and picups does anybody recommend?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    that bass sounds okay as is (I own two), but if you must change anything I would go with a badass II bridge and a set of 62 R.I. pups.

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    BASSLINES ALL THE WAY.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Plug it in and play it for now.

5. Wise

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    just leave it stock for now and enjoy it. ive had a mim dlx for a few years now and still have the stock bridge on it and have never had any problems from it.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The Gotoh 201 is a direct drop-in for the bridge, but it depends on what you want. It really didn't change the tone all that much, but it does seem sturdier and has slots that keep the string saddles from moving side to side. (A problem I had on my E string.) $20-some bucks, depending on Chrome/Black/Gold. You might not like the string height, though, as it is higher than with the stock bridge. I just shimmed my neck to get the action as low as I like it.

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    the stock pup in the bass will do very well for right now.... if you really want to change something, then put a badass II bridge on, it's a direct replacement for the bridge. But the pickup will be fine...

P@

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Why don't you see how well you like it before you change things?

10. Good Point.

If you don't like how the thing sounds, look into Lindy Fralin pickups, I absolutley love them. Quite expensive, but well worth it.

11. I agree that you should play it as is and only change what needs changing, if anything. I like the sound of the "Original 62" pickup but I ordered my bass with that pickup; I don't think I'd change the bridge.

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Well, you must've liked it to buy it, or.........

Anyway, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

13. I recently bought a mim jazz and what I want to change the most are the tuning pegs, then the bridge.