Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM Classic '60's Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bluesbob, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    I just bought a Classic '60's J-bass and I was wondering what the info is on the Pup's. They seem a bit "zingier" than the ones in my '70 J-bass. I was thinking of replacing them with either the Fender CS vintage or Duncan Antiquities. I play almost exclusively "old school"; blues, r'n'b, Motown and some classic rock. Anybody with any information on the MIM classic "standard" vintage Pup's and/or suggestions please respond. TIA.

2. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    C'mon, somebody's gotta have an idea.

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I too have a '70 Jazz and the stock pickups sound good, but are very low power and lack alot of glassy-ness. A test with the meter showed only a 6.3k and 6.5k ohm readings. Kinda weak, but they have that good old skool thump.
    I did a side-by side comparison with the MIM 60's. I played 3 of those new MIM 60's Jazzes and they do sound great...much stronger output, and incredibly nice tone.

I went through my junk box and found my (1996)MIJ reissue '75 Jazz pups, so I installed them into my '70 Jazz. They have ohm readings of 8.1k and 8.3k. They're much stronger and sound like what's in the MIM 60's Jazz.
    For some reason, I thought I read that all these reissue Jazzes (wether MIA,MIJ,MIM) come with the same pickups that the '62 MIA reissue Jazz comes with.
    At the same time, I also I thought I read that the CS '60 Jazz pups are low power for that old skool thump.

I'm eventually gonna put Duncans on the '70. Duncans are way better sounding than anything stock Fender.

4. Bluesbob

Bluesbob

Mar 13, 2000
    Springfield, TN
    In the Fender price guide at Mr Gearhead the stock numbers are different for those pups. I agree about SD's, especially for Teles, but that old "thump" is what I'm aiming for. So...I ordered the CS '60's Jazz Bass pups yesterday. I've seen the MIM Classic '60's Jazz Bass for sale on e-bay and they seem to attract bidders. I'm sure they would be a significant upgrade to the MiM Standard Jazz Bass pups since they are RWRP and are the correct size. My second choice was the SD Antiquity II, by the way. I'll have to see how the CS pups sound and then post a report.