1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender MIM Classic Series '60s Jazz Bass: users post here

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I recently bought one of these, a 2002 model, from TB'er steamthief. So far, I really dig the looks, feel, and tone of the bass.

Here are some pictures:

From steamthief:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Sweetwater:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will try to get up some pictures of my own up soon, but for now this is all I have.

Whoever owns this bass, post here! Share any opinions you have on this bass.

Also, I'm curious what kind of strings people are using.

Here are a couple of threads I have posted:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530834

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525628

2. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    anyone?

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    This is the only combo that I like rosewood on.

Your bass looks nice! I could definitely picture it being a fretless.

4. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    lol im really diggin the looks also. i love vintage tuners...

5. Hey Ryan, have you tried flats yet?

6. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Not yet, it's currently strung with DR nickel lo-riders.

7. When you get the chance you should slap a set on there. Completely different feel and tone with flats.

(And off topic, I think the bridge is probably sitting at the PO waiting on me. I'll find out for sure in about an hour or so.)

8. CosmicRay

CosmicRay Supporting Member

cool bass...
    I'm using D'Addario XL's on my '64 re-issue...I was using D'Addario
    slowounds, but they're not making them any more and are hard to find in stores.
    -Ray

Attached Files:

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Hard to see, but here is my classic workin'

Jim_in_studio_with_PollyandCo.

10. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    OK, found a close-up (Frailin split-coils and BAII) and a group shot:

IMG_0049.

IMG_0037.

11. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I'm gonna let the lo-riders settle in first. I may try a set or LaBella 760FLs after though. I actually have a set of old GHS precision flats so I may put them on soon. They are good flats, but there was something missing that I can't put my finger on.

Why do you recommend flats on the bass? Any personal experience with it?

Cool, I was worried it wasn't gonna get to you.
    Cool, thanks for chiming in.
    Very nice, especially that close-up. Do you like the Badass II better than the stock bridge?

You're bass looks a lot like mine, specifically the pickguard and the finish. The new models look a little different. Also the rosewood on the older ones seems darker.

12. StrungGutz

StrungGutz Banned

Apr 6, 2009
    Are those MIJ or MIM? I saw a 70's CL at GC I fell in love with, was a MIM.
    The reason I'm asking: is it a veneer on a muti piece body or one piece?

You have a nice looking axe, looks like a one piece.

13. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    These are the MIM Classic Series. I'm not sure about the body.

Thanks, the grain of the alder on mine is beautiful.

14. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    The 60's classic is made in Mexico. The body is two or three pieces of solid Alder, no veneer. I honestly think mine is better than the '69 I owned when I was a college kid. Stock, the feel and frets are the same, and the tone is the same. The neck is stable--much more stable than the '69 I had. Now with split-coil Fralins, I like the (quieter) range of tones better--I use the instrument a lot in situations where I need zero hum.

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    The rosewood on mine is actually lighter than the pics really show, although in the closeup you can see the lightest part of it (under the E and A above the 12th fret). I've tried boiled linseed oil, but it didn't make much of a change.

I think I do like the BAII better, but it was fine with the stock bridge. I still have it and may slap it on to try it again. It's been off the bass for several years.

BTW, concerning strings, I think Sadowsky Bright Nickel's sound great on mine. Rounds work well on this instrument. Flats sound more generic to me.

16. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Yeah I see that yours is a little lighter than mine, I am really pleased with the dark rosewood on mine.

What do you like better about the BAII? I have heard that it doesn't allow the tone of the wood to come through as well.

I too like rounds on this main because it is my #1 at this point. I do like to have flats on one bass, so I will put them on my SX most likely. Are those the black labels? I have been quite interested in the blue label nickels.

17. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a 60's Classic in Olympic White a short while back and it was one of the best basses I have owned. I now have the 70's Classic. The best strings that I had found for that particular bass were Hybrid Slinkies. Balance, and tone were great. However, I would take Bobby Vega's advice that every bass has a set of strings that works best on it. You really need to experiment.

18. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I think the criticisms of the BAII are probably essentially true. The tone probably losses something, but there is also a gain. I think (though it could be totally subject/my imagination) that there is more "meat" to the tone. That is, it seems a bit darker, thicker, and with more sustain.

There are those who will tell you I am fooling myself, that the BAII doesn't do those things. It may be true, but when I modified my 60's classic, I changed one thing at a time: strings first, then pickups, then the bridge. I think a few months passed between each of the major mods. At some point, I had the good guys at RSguitarworks do a fret crowning/leveling and setup (and fix a ground fault I had created doing the pickups).

The point I am trying to make is that at each step, I felt pretty confident that the modification was for the better.

If I were to do it over, I would probably do it about the same way. Yet, I am interested in possibly reinstalling the original pickups and the original bridge to see how I feel about the modifications, now.

This is the first Jazz bass I have actually owned in 25 years, though I have played many. I was not a big fan of Jazz basses. Yet, this little MIM bass has changed all that.

Yes, Black Labels. I haven't tried Blue Labels, yet, but I will. Using Black Label's, I like both the Nickels and Steels. I tend to play them until they are pretty dead (not cheap, just busy), and in fact after a while they pretty much sound the same, IMHO. :ninja:

They are great strings, but I have been guided toward DRs by a Sadowsky employee (who will remain nameless). I think he was suggesting DR Low Riders. How are they on the 60's classic with your pickups??? :bassist:

19. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    +1

I totally agree.

20. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Wow that's very interesting, I was under the impression that the BAII made the bass brighter and gave it more sustain vs. the more organic and fat tone of the vintage bridge.

I am a Jazz bass guy through and through. That's the "tone in my head" and all my biggest influences have played one. Here are some of my favorite tones ever - As you can tell, I'm a huge Turner fan.

I am the same way with strings. I don't like a zingy, crispy, sizzly high end. I'm not even big on the really wide, smooth, extended high end. I don't even need much high end, and can usually work without tweeters, but I absolutely need clarity and definition. It can be tough finding a perfect balance. I have found that really worn-in, dead nickel rounds are my favorite. The nickel lo-riders are fantastic with the CS '60s pickups, a really growly, warm, organic tone with a good amount of mids. However, the pole pieces on the pickups are all raised, even moreso on the e string, so I am considering changing them out. I know this is minor, but it bothers me a little.