Fender MIM "Classic" series vs. MIM Standard basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris S., Sep 18, 2006.

1. Chris S.

Chris S.

Nov 4, 2000
    (Sorry, the search feature is temporarily out, otherwise I would've tried that first, but... )

I know there are a lot of MIM fans here. Has anyone had a chance to compare examples from the Fender MIM Classic series with the "Standard" MIM basses? For example, the Classic '50s Precision Bass (Model no. 0131702) vs. the Standard Precision bass (0136100).

If you have played or owned both, can/did you see a noticeable difference in quality? There's certainly a difference in price.

Btw, I'm not asking about any sort of Squiers, just the Classics vs. Standards. Just curious. Thx in advance, CS :)

2. jfabrizio

jfabrizio

Sep 10, 2006
    To me, the quality, as in build quality, is the same. However, the feel is very different: the classic series is wider at the nut, has a "c" shapes beck (which feels flatter than the standard series) and the neck has a high gloss finish, which looks nice! To me both sound similar. It really comes down to feel. Both are made in Mexico so the quality control is spotty, so look around before you buy.

3. I've never owned a MIM "standard" Fender although I have played many. I do, however, own a Classic Series 50's P-Bass. It has a maple fingerboard rather than rosewood, the width at the nut is 1.75" as opposed to the standard's 1.625", it has an gold anodized aluminum pickguard (drilled for the pickup cover and finger rest) as opposed the standard's (undrilled) plastic pickguard, the tuners are "reverse" models, the bridge is different (no allen wrench needed for adjustments) and it ships with a "deluxe" gig bag.

So far, after about 6 months, I'm happy with the bass. It sounds much better than I thought it would. I have a P-clone with an "Original 62" pickup installed and I had planned to buy either another "62" or a Fralin. To my surprise, the stock pickup sounds great, as good as either aftermarket choice to my ears (and my band's ears)...fat and thick. I was also happy to see the fretwork needed no touching up...no prickly ends. Also, the instrument has been very stable so far. Immediately upon receiving the bass, I installed a set of Fender 9050 Flats and finished setting it up...I haven't had to touch it since. Oh yeah, it was cosmetically perfect (black body, gold anodized aluminum pickguard, maple neck...looks fabulous).

I had been unable to find one of the Classic 50's P-Basses in stock anywhere locally, so I had my local music store order one for me. The wide maple neck had tickled my fancy and my GAS had become unbearable. I had fully expected to do some fret work and install a new pickup but the bass was fine right out of the box. I had done quite a bit of research before buying and found universally positive reviews posted. As far as I'm concerned, I got a hell of a lot of bass for $630. I found the build quality to be excellent and all the electronics and mechanical components are doing the job for me. It is at least a notch above the typical MIM (for the price difference, it should be) quality standards. Quality wise, it reminds me of a fine MIJ P-Bass I used to have and my current MIJ fretless Jazz Bass.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021