Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM Deluxe 5 - Old School Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzBassvb, Jun 9, 2005.

1. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Howdy!

After going back and forth about getting a 6 string and whatnot, I have finally decided that I want to get another 5.

As of late, I've really gotten into old school funk type stuff and the tone from those tunes has really grown on me. Enough to where I want to have that tone at my disposal for funk.

After doing some searching and reading on TB.com, I decided that a Fender Standard V would fit the bill and after work, I dropped in at the local music store.

I played a midnight wine colored one and it played very well. I didn't notice any noise at all and it felt very nice. I love the color.

Then, the sales guy (same guy who gave me a great deal on my Boss looping station), tells me about a 2001 MIM deluxe 5 they've had for a long time and are trying to move it out (taking a bit of a loss). It's a candy-apple red with tort pickguard. I played it and it also felt great and sounded awesome! At first I didn't like the color, but now that I am thinking about it more, it's growning and my wife even liked it (showed her pictures from the net)

Anyway, now for my questions:

Can I achieve (and if so, how?) the old school sound from tunes like 'Forget Me Nots' (Marcus Miller type sound) with this bass (actives) or would I be better off going with the standard for that sound?

Anything to watch out for while considering this bass or the standard?

Any other input would be appreciated.

Thanks very much!
    JB

2. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Any input?

Like I mentioned before, this is new territory for me and I'm not very acquainted with the sound I'm looking for.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    JB

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Forget me Nots is not the Marcus Miller sound at all. It sounds to me like you need a P-bass or a P/J pickup bass in order to get the sound you want.

4. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Well, bummer!

Means my hearing needs a checkup then. :)

Thanks for the info. What you said, now that I'm thinking about it, makes sense.

Nice to know where sounds like that come from.

I guess I'll need to do some more reading and listening.

Thanks very much!
    JB

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    My MIA Jazz V gets a decent 'Old School' tone with D'Addario Nickels and these settings:

Pickup Pan, Bass, and Mid at 2 O'clock
    Treble at center detent down to about 10 O'clock

Kind of P'ish with a bit of definition... Actually, it sounds just like what it is... a really, really nice J bass favoring the front pickup!

It's a '96 with the John Suhr preamp and the 5-polepiece pickups...

-robert

6. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Robert,

Thanks very much! Sounds like those settings are when looking at the bass from the front, not wearing it, correct?

I had often thought that a J bass should be able to reproduce the old school sound with the neck pickup used more than the bridge, but it never sounded right to me.

Maybe I can try that on my NEW MIM Deluxe J! :D :D :bassist: :bassist:

My wife surprised me on Friday and got me the bass I played on Wednesday. That is such a nice bass with great tone.

It's nothing like yours and the preamp is different, but it sounds really good.

I guess for that old school tone, I may just do as you suggested and try for the best.

Thanks very much!
    JB

7. julo

julo

Jan 18, 2005
    Boulder, CO
    that's the kind of wife i'm looking for

lucky man

J

8. Just like Rllefebv said.

Pan the blend to about 85% Neck pickup, boost the bass and mids past the halfway point, and cut treble to before the halfway point.

9. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Sweet! I like it very much! That sounds pretty good.

I can dig that.

I appreciate it very much, guys!

Thanks,
    JB

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Excellent!! Nothing quite like a new, 'guilt-free' bass in the arsenal!! So nice when the wife understands what a bass can mean to a guy!

Yes... those setting would be looking 'head-on'... With newer strings, I back off on the treble and mid controls slightly... I've really found the tone settings in the 10-to-2 range, (looking at it from the front like a clock), to be the most useful... More extreme settings tend to get a bit unpleasant to my ears... With the tone settings pretty much laid out like earlier, I can get quite a bit of variation just by working the pickup-pan knob...

Now... ya gotta know that we're gonna want some pictures!!!

-robert

11. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hey Robert,

Thanks! Yeah, tell me about it. It's really cool! I'm getting used to it more and more. It has wider spacing than my Ibanez Ex and the Ibanez has really light gauge strings, so it's pretty different, but it's awesome! The Ibanez will become my tenor bass.

I tried those settings mentioned more and more and I like that tone. I think that's for me. I'm pretty much at the realization that my sound is more of the contemporary high def sound. That's what sounds good to my ears, but more and more that old school sound is coming through.

I don't have any pics as of yet, but it's exactly the same as the one in the thread below. I tell a little more about my wife surprising me and there is a link to Fender's site that has the exactly looking bass, other than it being a MIA.

The Surprise

I think I'll start a new thread and ask some questions specific to this bass, just to get more rounded info.

Thanks again!
    JB