Fender MIM Deluxe Active Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Apr 25, 2004.

What do you think?

Poll closed May 2, 2004.
  1. Great bass get it in Candy Apple!

10 vote(s)
  2. Great bass get it in White!

9 vote(s)
  3. Nah not a very good bass

9 vote(s)
  4. Dont know but it looks pretty cool!

2 vote(s)
  1. It's step up time to a new bass. I want a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz. I hear a lot of good things about them and wanted your final opinion. I cant decide between finishes either. I'm pretty sure I want CAR, but just look at that white! DROOL!
  2. I played one when I was looking at new basses, and the price was a steal, but then I saw the ray that had to be mine. However if I had not gotten the ray, I would have gone for the mim deluxe active jazz probably. Especially at the price they had it for.
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I have a CAR...the White ones look fine too.

The Candy Apple Red is a really rich color...and the bass plays and sounds really nice. The neck is pretty beefy though.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    freshmeat1989, I just sent you a pm...
  5. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    The stock preamp in this bass is horrible, IMO. You'd be better off going with a Mexi Standard Jazz and putting an Aguilar or Bart preamp in it with some used upgraded pickups. Better bass.
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    on the American Deluxe active J Bass? the three band?
    man, i gotta say, i must be sick , because i have played a couple of them and they have sounded GREAT! is is not the same pre that is on the FMT? the bass everyone raves about??
    just my opinion, of course, which is mostly meaningless... :D
  7. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I was going to get one in white (definate the choice between CAR and white), but I fell in love with the finishes on the hwy1. After playing a hwy1, I will get it and add my own preamp and pickups. Better than even a MIA Dlx at that point, and for alot less. Only thing is that you will have to make sure someone knows what they are doing with the pre. Tough to fit it in the control cavity, but doable.
  8. I was also wondering, on the American, is the body and pickgaurd smaller than an American Std.?
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What he said, prolly the worst pre amp I ever heard, it takes away from the tone. I'm not sure about the American actives but the MIM active sucks! I second modifying a decent passive with better pups and pre amp if you must have a Fender.
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    That's funny...IIRC the pickups and electronics in MIM Deluxe Active J basses are MIA...so it's the same stuff that you'd get in a MIA instrument without the graphite rods in the neck and through body string option.
  11. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Yes, the American Deluxe has a smaller body, smaller pickguard and longer neck than the American Series Jazz. My ash American Deluxe is also more than a pound lighter than a USA Series Jazz.

The Mexi, FMT and USA Deluxes all have the same preamp, however the newer USA models are 18V. Mine's 9V. As stated above, my USA Deluxe sounded horrible when I bought it. It was OK at low volumes, but at "band level" volumes it exposed its crappy sound. I first blamed the pickups and changed them. Still crappy. Then I changed the preamp and experimented with different pickups. All pickups sounded amazing with the new preamp, but the stock "noiseless" pups sounded the best.

The Mexi Deluxes have different pickups (4 pole pieces) than the Noiseless pickups that come in the USA models. The USA Deluxe basses also have ultra light tuners, abalone dot markers, USA string-thru bridge, lighter/smaller body, strap locks, a longer 22 fret neck, graphite rods in neck, 5-bolt neck (newer models), a fancier Fender logo on the headstock and more detailed fretwork with rolled fretboard edges. These things are missing frim the Mexi Deluxe. There may be another difference or two that I'm forgetting (better finish?)
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i found i liked the 9 vold better than th e18 volt- the 9 volt was more
    " fendery?"
    at least the ash/maple i had sounded great with the stock pre...
  13. I may be wrong but all the MIM deluxe I've tried had better fretwork and finish. I think they are better constructed overall.
  14. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    You could get a MUCH better playing/sounding bass for the same price. Their "active" electronics are a joke if you ask me.

15. I have an MIM Fender Deluxe V, but it has upgraded pickups and preamp. I bought the bass used on eBay with the current preamp and EMG pickups, but the pickups didn't fit the routes properly, so I sold them and had Bartolinis installed. All in all, the bass cost me about $500.

Oops, I forgot to mention that the preamp is a BTB-01, which is basically the bass/treble control from the J-Retro. :)
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I am not a fan.
  17. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I owned one of the MIM Deluxe Active fours for a long time and it really didn't do a whole lot for me. The E string sounded like crap, the preamp definitely took away from the Fender sound. Honestly it didn't even sound like a Fender, it just sounded thumpy. That was just mine though and admittedly it needed some work, prolly a preamp but what did I know, I'd been playing a month when I bought it to replace a Kramer 420/S I'd bought for 70 bucks that had scratchy pots which I was too naive to fix. So all in all the Mexi played really well, but sounded crappy. Just be sure when you go to get one, don't order it go get one if you can, that you play it for a long while and compare it to all the others you can find before you drop the cash on it. And good luck man, if you can find a good one you'll be set.