Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender MIM deluxe active jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Aug 17, 2004.

1. fender just came out with a new MIM active fender deluxe jazz bass, it comes in vintige white (whiche looks really cool) black, candy apple red, and sunburst. it also comes whith a tort pickguard. the bass has american noiseless pickups and american active electronics, and it is only $559 am i missing something or this a really really really good deal? has anybody tried it?

2. Yeah, the vintage white on the instrument is beautiful...

I was looking at the particular model for my second bass, I can't stand my Squier P anymore - but I was thinking about just getting lucky with a well made MIM fender jazz. Cheaper, and likely a great instrument.

I will say that I don't know anything about the active electronics or action in this new bass, so if its worth it, or if anyone has played/reviewed this instrument, pleeease let me know :hyper:

3. I'll drop by the local Fender dealer over my lunch break and see if he's got one in stock. If he does, I'll let you know what it's like. The old MIM Deluxe Active Jazz Bass was a good bass for the money and the new noiseless pickups seem to be pretty well thought of, so I'm guessing this is a pretty good deal.

4. I'm almost certainly getting this bass for my second bass. I played the older version (with the 1/4 inch pickup poles) and loved it. It played really awesome and sounded great! The electronics were really versatile and also sounded awesome. Plus the CAR and Tort P/G blew me away! Fit and finish was flawless, and the neck was real nice. Nothing on the bass was flawed mechanically or anything.

5. Nope, none in stock and none on order. He still has one of the older models that he hasn't moved.

6. So I'm assuming its all grand and completely worth the 150+ bucks paid for it? I'm really not sure though - I know it's possible to get a really good standard jazz and as a second bass, seems about right. The Dlx Active just seems like its solely the addition of active electronics, and I may be more of a passive guy, although I have not experienced the full advantages of an Active bass firsthand... anyone have sound clips to compare the two? I know there was a large thread on it recently, but a sound comparison would be nice.

Anyone else have an opinion? If it's really something, I should find myself saving up even more, I suppose... :rollno:

7. One thing I did not mention. I tried another one at this little shop in Florida that was horrible. The strings were literally brown and the action was horrible and it just sounded bad. Either I got a bad one at that store, or a good one at the other, or these have just as bad QC as every other Fender. I really think it is worth the 150 bucks (especially the new version) because because it has the EXACT same pickups that the American Deluxes just got rid of because they now have Bill Lawrence pickups. It does sound a lot better to me and more versatile but it's all a matter of opinion.

8. I used to own on of these babies..

Awesome instrument, and it came in the Artic White.. which i really prefer over the current colours.

When i trialled it, i put it up against 3 other American Jazz Standard's in store (one was used, other 2 new) IMO this neck was much better.. probably a fluke..or probably due to fender's poor quality control.

Hardware was really good.. but i refit everything on this bass almost as soon as i got it.
    Bridge, tuners, straplocks, new nut, i even had Seymour Duncan Single Coil stacked neck and a Seymour Duncan Musicman Humbucker put in (think Lakland) and an Aggie Preamp.

THE BEST BASS I EVER PLAYED

Unfortuntely it was completely destroyed by my ex 3 years ago.. too bad tho..

9. Dang man that sucks. I wouldve given her a nice kick in the pants. How did it SOUND before the mods?

10. You think thats bad.. she actually "kidnapped" it.. send a freakin ransom note.. and dismantled it.. and mailed it to me piece by piece.

Sound before the mods was great.. real smooth..
    I think the PUPS were one of the great things about this bass.

Honestly you could leave it in there.. they were great!

11. A while back, I was wanting one really bad from hearing sound clips on the Fender site. After trying one I didn't want it so bad anymore, though. In all fairness, I'm not sure if it was the newer model or not, but IMO, I thought it sounded ok flat, but any sort of boost and the sound seemed to turn to instant crapola. Lows would go muddy, mids would turn grinding, and the highs turned to tin. Then again, we're talking Fender here, so it's quite possible I got a poor example.

Still, I think if you're interested in an active Jazz, you could do better by looking for a nice MIM Standard and modding it with an aftermarket pre (Raven, J-Retro, Aguilar) and pickups (Duncans for me). On a good day, I think you could come in at about the same price and end up with a better souding instrument. That's just my two cents though, and I'm usually wrong about everything. :D

12. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Speaking of fender sound clips... where are they on the site? I remember listening to some a while back but now i can't seem to find any, did they put all samples off the site or something?

13. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    NJ
    When looking to purchase my second bass, I considered the older model of this and the MIM 60's reissue. The active jazz was just lacking in playability. Sure, it sounded pretty good, but everything else was the same as the MIM standard. I chose the 60's reissue and if you're not set on active, I'd give it a look.

14. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    GREAT DEAL!!!!!! i have one...red...i LOVE that bass...it is my baby...i have the 5 string in black too...i highly suggest you pick one up

15. yeah, i've been looking at all 3 - the MIM, the 60s and the Active. But the thing is the money on the latter two - Actives run in the mid $500s and the 60 reissues are even more costly, I think? $600s? I'm thinking I could do better with just a regular MIM Jazz and go from there.

Besides, they come in arctic white and a tort pickguard ain't no thing to pick up... ;)

16. shaunathan32

shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    Looks interesting. Ive been looking for a jazz bass to get for my next bass. I love them. What bass do you think is better for sound and features? Geddy lee Sig jazz bass or this fender MIM deluze active?

17. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I recently purchased a Fender Jazz and did a head to head comparison of the MIM Active Deluxe against the MIJ Geddy Lee. I will say that the active pups in the Active Deluxe had much more tonal "range" than the passive single coils in the Geddy. But the neck on the Geddy, whoa! :eek: The maple fingerboard is so sweet and that thin neck just felt so great. The neck and fingerboard on the Active Deluxe just paled in comparision, it felt almost like a baseball bat in my hand.

I came home with the Geddy,and have had it a couple weeks. I just restrung it with DR Lo-Riders and for the first time I can say that I've found "the sound" that I've been searching for. Just my $0.02, but I'd rather have a bass that feels and plays better and sacrifice a bit of versatility. I personally love the sound of the Geddy and don't plan to change the pups or anything else now that it's got decent strings.

Shannon