Fender MIM J Bass low output

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prater, Nov 19, 2015.

Tags:
  1. prater

prater

Aug 4, 2011
    I have a 2000 Fender MIM Jazz Bass with stock pickups. I've never really noticed it was quiet until I borrowed a friends Fender Aerodyne and it was significantly louder and had way more low end so I had to turn my amp down.

Is there something wrong with my bass that I'm getting such low output or are the Areodyne pickups just that much hotter?

2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly

Apr 17, 2015
    Prater,

The first thing I would do is get a voltmeter and take some readings from his bass and yours.

All you need to do there is plug in a guitar cable to your bass, set the voltmeter to 20k, and touch the probe leads to the other end of the cable (on the tip and side) and use your volumes to isolate each pickup.

Write down your readings with the neck pickup on, then the bridge pickup on, then both on full. And leave your tone knob all the way up.

Do that to both basses, then compare the readings. If yours is way off, you may then consider checking your solder joints.

Don't forget, some pickups are wound hotter than others, so that may affect the readings, but if it's way off then you may have another issue.

Keep us posted! :thumbsup:

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    As Brundlefly suggested, you'd need to do a step-by-step analysis in order to discover what the problem -- if any -- might be. I also own a 2000 MIM Standard J which -- while significantly modified -- still has the original pickups. It's one of my favorite instruments, and I've never had an issue with the pickups' output.

Brundlefly likes this.
  4. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    1. Check your pickup height. The pickups are sitting on 15 year old foam and may be further from the strings than ideal.

2. Jazz basses are usually a little quieter with both pickups on full, try turning one pickup volume down just a little.

Brundlefly likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021