Fender MIM Jazz- are they all solid wood?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Oct 22, 2004.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I've been reading about the MIM Fenders on this site, and just by coincidence, I found a fretless version at a pawn shop near me for $200. It sounds fine, plays fine. I may even be able to talk the shop into $170 cash.

But I'm concerned about the body wood. It seems I read on one of these threads that some of the earlier MIMs were made of "multi-lam" wood. The thread I saw was too old (IMO) for me to have gotten a reply, so I didn't post in it. Maybe I should have.

Is there a difference between what posters here refer to as "Multi-lam" and plywood? I have no problem with the usual 3 or 4 piece alder or poplar body, but I don't want a plywood bass, no matter whose name is on the headstock. The bass is black, and the finish is too smooth for me to be able to see evidence of plywood construction in the usual places like the tummy cut and forearm contour. My question is this: Did Fender (this is a MIM Fender, not a Squier) ever use plywood for any of their Jazz basses? I guess I could simply ask the shop to unscrew the control plate, but they're not really a guitar-knowledgeable place, and I suspect they'd refuse.

Thanks in advance.
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    MIM Fenders are not Plywood. In general they are 3 piece from what I've seen. $200 is low dough for a MIM fretless if it isn't whipped.
  3. I used to own a black, fretless MIM Fender Jazz bass which I bought brand new. The reason I say this, is that the sticker on the bass stated that the body was poplar. I don't know if they were all poplar, but I highly doubt that any were plywood.

I agree with 4Mal; if that bass is in good shape, $200 is a steal!

Good luck.

Mike ;)
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    All MIM basses switched to alder around 2002.
  5. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.

I highly doubt thats its plywood. Most likely instead of the usual 2/3 piece body it has upwards of 5/6 pieces...

If it sounds good and plays good, who cares for that kind of money.... :D