1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender MIM Jazz Bass or Fender MIJ P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Livewire, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well It's time for a new bass. Right now I have a Fender P bass with seymour duncans 1/4 pounder pickups and a badass II bridge and Musicman Sub Sterling Bass. I'm in the market for a new bass and I was wondering what you guys think. Either a new Fender MIM Jazz bass in Lake Placid Blue with a maple neck, or a Fender MIJ P Bass. Never played anything from japan but I've heard good things. My band plays a lot of reggae, blues, rock, and some heavy rock. What do you guys think? Thanks a lot

http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/en...hop.jp/shop/g/g321117890/&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2
    http://www.interstatemusic.com/weba...angId=-1&catalogId=10021&productId=900257973#

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Um... after you play both of them I suggest you buy whichever you like the most.

3. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Um... the Guitar centers and Sam Ash's by me don't carry MIJ basses... Um thanks

4. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Most Fender MIJ stuff is pretty great.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

MIJs are no longer produced, however you can get a CIJ which is almost as good or buy a used MIJ.

6. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    The Japanese basses are nice, but you know what? The Mexican basses are also very nice these days. The advantage of going the Mexican route, it seems in your case, is that the Mexi basses are available to try out. You can play several, and pick the one that speaks to you the most. There are things to be said for a good test drive. Kind of like going to Olivander's and having the wand choose you :)

7. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    The new Fender Japan with serial starting with letter T are now called Made in Japan (MIJ). The last Crafted in Japan (CIJ) have serial starting with letter S.

8. JulienJeff

JulienJeff

Mar 1, 2009
    Belgium
    well, since you already have a P bass, I'd say go for the Jazz bass

9. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    Awesome thing about my current situation is that I can give the Japanese Fenders a test drive and pick the one that speaks to me. :D :ninja:

Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris

10. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Which one? Depends what you're looking for tonewise. If you want something different from what you have now get the J, but if you just simply love the P bass thing and fancy more of that then get the P.