Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FENDER MIM JAZZ BASS STANDARD WITH BASSLINES AND LEO QUAN BADASS II??? GOOD IDEA???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by injektilo, Mar 25, 2005.

1. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    Hi! I wanted to buy the Ibanez RKB900... now that I have the money it's been discontinued!!! :bawl: so, I just saw a Fender MIM jazz bass standard... beautiful!!! and really cheap... I'm thinkin' in buyin' it and then install on it seymour duncan passive basslines pickups and the leo quan badass II bridge....

so, my question is... will this changes improve a lot the sound of the MIM jazz bass???? should I go for it??? should I leave my bass with the original pickups and bridge?? what's your advice???

THANK U!!!

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I would leave it stock for now till you see if you like it. The more massive Badass will add sustain, highs and an overall more hifi sound than the bent plate Fender bridge but you'll lose some of the mid range character and decay of a more woody sound. One way to look at it is if you like brand new strings go with the Badass, if you like the tone of strings after a month or so leave the Fender bridge.

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I love my MIM Fender Jazz. I know however that quality control is a problem with these basses. I would definitely sit down and play it for a while. If you decide to buy it, I wouldn't change a thing until you have had a chance to play it properly. Check out the sustain and if you think it isn't enough, go for a replacement bridge. Same for the pickups.....give the stock ones a chance.

4. The mods you've proposed are as commonplace to the Jazz as a tortoise pickguard. I wouldn't worry too much about whether they would work.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    For the price of the MIM Jazz + New Pickups + Badass II bridge you can afford a MIJ or MIA Jazz used. I had a MIM Jazz and I added a Badass II, SD Quarter Pound Pickups, and a tort pickguard. I should have left it alone. The stock pickups on the MIM Jazz are HIGHLY underappreciated, they sound great. The bent metal bridge is perfectly adequate.

6. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    have you thouht of getting an sx jazz instead? they are better and cheaper than MIM fenders, and all the mods that you are thinking about have been done. check the essex megathread.

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Sorry but I disagree. I have played both and imho don't think the sound and quality of SX's is better than MIM Fenders.......Squires maybe but not MIM's.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    +1

The good reputation that the SX basses have here is a little over inflated. I've bought two. One was good the other, not so much.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Agreed. An MIM Fender is a much better bass than an SX. But an SX is still great for the money (as is the MIM Fender). I have a set of pickups from an MIM Fender that would probably be a good upgrade for an Essex.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I agree and I disagree.

For the money you cannot go wrong with an SX. In addition to the new 62jazz or 75jazz, the price of a pro setup and a new set of pups, and maybe even a new bridge or neck, you will have bought a STOCK MIM Fender. Give or take some, depending on the neck or bridge choice. So really, it is a great value and the build quality is as good as it's gonna get.

This is imo of course. :hyper:

11. If I could find a jazz shaped pickup that sounds like a P, I'd be all over those SX's and upgrade them. They're nice looking for what they are, I just can't say I like that jazz tone.

12. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I think the whole SX vs MIM Fender arguement is kind of subjective. From what I hear its pretty much hit or miss with both these instruments. I just got an SX and I think the thing is amazing, Ive played Fenders that were better and Fenders that were worse. I guess I lucked out with my SX cause it plays and sounds beautiful and it was dirt cheap. Im planning on modding it out (and itll only be around 50 bucks more than a standard fender :D ) but it is perfectly fine stock

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Good analysis... I think you hit the mark. Some are better than others and the key is finding one that you love.

14. injektilo

injektilo

Mar 25, 2005
    Toluca, Mexico
    :bassist: I just found a Fender Highyway 1 P-bass, american made, three tone sunburst... american pickups... and it's only 599 bucks... what do you think about this bass??? p-basses are not my style but I guess I could give it a chance instead of the MIM jazz I'm thinkin' in buyin'... btw... thank y'all four your advices!!

15. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I just picked up a new Standard Jazz about two weeks ago. This bass is awsome! I put on a BassAss II last weekend to give me a bit more punch and attack, but other then that I am not changing a thing. (well I lied, I have a White Pearl pickguard on order). As far as pickups, I am not touching a thing. I played this bass live for the first time last night and it sounded great through my SWR rig. Plus I can't believe how low I got the action on this bass. My recommendation, if you get one change the bridge. The stock vintage bridges are kinda cheeze-ball!

[​IMG]

16. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I like both the Fender Highway P bass and the standard jazz basses. I own a Highway Jazz and think it is good value for money. Some would say it's not this or it should be that. Whatever man. My philosophy is simple. If I like the way it looks and plays then it's best suited for me. Congrats on your new basses!

17. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    If I were you I would probably save the money on upgrades and try and get a Japanese Jazz. Much much much better quality, equal to U.S. quality IMO.

18. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Some would even dare say superior to US made.....but not me.

19. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Well..I'll put it this way. If I had to order a Jazz Bass sight unseen (something I don't do), I'd go with the Japanese. ;)

20. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Never really like the BAII bridge myself. I like the Gotoh replacement bridge much better. Duncan pickups should sound nice.