1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Fender MIM Jazz Bass with MIM P Neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Jan 20, 2018.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Price:
    Strings:
    For sale is a Fender Jazz bass fitted with a precision neck.

I assembled this bass a couple of years ago from a loaded J body and loaded p neck. My inspiration- I wanted to have a J bass with wider 19MM string spacing and a flatter neck radius that I could play with my band. This bass became my main J but then I started playing active J 5s. Now I am selectively paring down the stash of 4 strings in general.

Both the body and neck are from 2004 as I recall. I pictured the first few of the serial numbers in the pics below.

I could part this back out but I really don't want to do that. The bass is a great players and it is in excellent condition so I would prefer someone else enjoys it. It has a very present sound as Js do and this one has a particularly great response.

I am asking $365 shipped with gig bag, add $25 if you are in MST or PST zones.

The wider string spacing and flatter radius really improve the whole playing experience. For this price it is a great way to try out the concept of a wider string spacing on a J bass. And if you don't like it you can make money on a part out. I am just too attached to this bass to do that!

Pictures below as well as a link to a couple of audio clips.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    rojo412 and Ampslut like this.
  2. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how is the fit in the neck pocket having switched to a different kind of neck other than what it was intended for? Is it still a tight fit? Is there any space between the side of the neck and the neck pocket?
    Thanks

3. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Also, is that a divot you are trying to point out in the back of the neck, or a scratch, or a crack?

4. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Fender neck pockets and neck scales are exacly the same for P and J basses so it is a perfect fit. That's why there is such a robust market for Fender parts (necks, bodies, etc) used and new.

rojo412 likes this.
  5. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    It is a very faint divot. Barely noticable hence the extreme close up and my finger to show scale. can't be felt but I wanted to point it out.

6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Any case or bag included?

7. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Gig bag included.

8. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Is there any neck dive when seated or on a strap?

9. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    No. Not an issue with J basses or P basses.

10. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    I figured as much, but thought I'd ask, since in theory it might be a heavier neck on a body that's not built for it. But I guess the jazz body is bigger than a P body (isn't it?) so it should be a non-factor. Sorry for the dumb questions. But I am intrigued. I've been a jazz/p player forever, but have never (knowingly) tried something that was a combination of the two. Actually, I take that back. I had a Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn for a bit, and if I recall correctly that's a P with a jazz neck. But given a choice between the two I prefer the P neck.

11. rogerbmiller

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    No problem.

It’s more common than you would think. Hence all the parts that sell on the accessories market.

As I stated in my OP, I did this combo because I wanted the P profile with the J sound. I prefer wide spacing and a flat radius all things equal.

I honestly don’t know why fender doesn’t make it an option to have either neck profile on either bass. Some P players prefer a J neck on their Ps...